The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Serpentine accessory belt drive system for 1959 Dodge D500
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

dpolara
Posted 2020-07-09 9:55 PM (#600637)
Subject: Serpentine accessory belt drive system for 1959 Dodge D500

I have a 1959 Dodge Custom Royal 4dr D500 with 383 engine and SIX (6) belts to drive all the accessories. This car has working factory rear air suspension (Level-Flite) with working air compressor, air conditioning, and power steering HOWEVER, the belts often come flying off, quite violently, when driving at highway speeds or heavy acceleration. This car has only 48,000 original miles and I think I know why. I've tried everything, adding additional tensioners, many new belts, laser alignment of pulley, and new pulleys, but nothing has helped. I've had the car towed more than I've driven it due to the belt problems. So, since I'd rather enjoy the car and drive it, rather than trailer it, I'm thinking of installing a Serpentine belt system with all new accessories (Air Compressor for rear suspension, A/C, power steering pump, Alternator)

So, has anyone tried this on a 1959 Dodge with a 383? Engine is super clean and the car is very original, but I'd really like to have a reliable accessory drive system under the hood. See pics of original engine and one of the many serpentine kits for a 383.

(59engine.jpg)

(383Serp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 59engine.jpg (132KB - 386 downloads)
Attachments 383Serp.jpg (123KB - 392 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2020-07-09 11:00 PM (#600643 - in reply to #600637)
Subject: RE: Serpentine accessory belt drive system for 1959 Dodge D500

Expert

Either you have the wrong belts, or misaligned pulleys or belts not wrapped around the correct pulleys. Just looking at your photo, there appears to be a pulley without a belt. Which belts are flying off ? Focus on that. Check the shop manual for illustration of how belts are supposed to be set up.

Don't jury rig. Find the solution. It was working when it left the factory. So figure out what is wrong.

Ron

dpolara
Posted 2020-07-09 11:29 PM (#600649 - in reply to #600643)

ronbo97, thanks for the reply! Good catch on missing a belt! That's an old picture. More recently, I had a dual pulley idler and generator added that kept things running better than ever, but it still failed and left me stranded for hours. From the factory, there was not enough pulley's to support the two belts on the A/C compressor, so it was always missing a belt from the factory and it caused the A/C belts to always slip, slap, flip, and flop, especially when the A/C is on. I've been dealing with this for almost 4 years and have spent thousands of dollars trying to remedy this. I wonder how many other 59's had 6 (SIX) belts in this configuration. SEE PIC. It's interesting that the diagram calls for 2 belts on the A/C, but from the factory, there wasn't enough groves on the pulley's to support this setup.
Thanks again for the feedback! Always much appreciate any and all input from this awesome group!!!

(59chryslerbeltrouting.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 59chryslerbeltrouting.png (85KB - 395 downloads)
57plymouth
Posted 2020-07-10 5:58 AM (#600653 - in reply to #600637)
Subject: Re: Serpentine accessory belt drive system for 1959 Dodge D500

Expert

I think you have the wrong pulley on the water pump and idlers. That's why you don't have enough grooves for the dual AC belts, and why you are throwing belts off. And possibly your balancer is failing and adding to your misalignment. It is also possible your belts are too wide and they don't ride low enough in the pulley to stay in place.
springsweptwing
Posted 2020-07-10 10:03 AM (#600657 - in reply to #600637)

Elite Veteran

Hi Ron,

Take it the belt on end of generator goes to air pump? Just that the belt from the A/C would have gone across to the generator, just wondering if generator has been spaced correctly now that the belt is routed differently, might just be the picture but the belt looks to be angled backward?

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (151KB - 383 downloads)
dpolara
Posted 2020-07-10 9:32 PM (#600701 - in reply to #600657)

Thanks for the reply and the pic! VERY NICE! On the diagram above, FIG-29, my engine accessory drive is setup like MC-1. The Air Pump goes directly to the crank pulley. In your pic I noticed that your setup has one belt also on the A/C. So, even though the shop manuals and auto supply websites, like Gates Belts, all show two belts, apparently these shipped with only one belt for the A/C. As for the belt looking like it was angled backwards, it's just another one of the many different types of belts we tried to solve the problem. Thanks again for the feedback. Ron
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)