The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My "new" '61 DeSoto and my '64 Chrysler Newport
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

VickyDeSoto
Posted 2021-01-09 11:22 AM (#607546)
Subject: My "new" '61 DeSoto and my '64 Chrysler Newport

I'll start with my recent acquisition:
The internet let's me search for, and look at, things I really shouldn't: junkyard cars. I'm fascinated by their unknown history, and their potential for reincarnation. But, of course, I had told myself, "No more cars!" I have my hands full with what I already have. So, I forget what led me to a junkyard in AZ. But, there I saw a '59 DeSoto Sportsman. It looked in a bad way, but I loved it's style, especially the fins. I was annoyed, but relieved, when the yard refused to give me any info on the car, including the price. But, it led me on a search to look for DeSotos of that period. And so, I found my '61 DeSoto, at a dealer in FL. I was immediately captivated by it, and loved everything about it: the style, (those fins!), the color scheme (inside and out), the fact that it was said to be an original, just out of storage, and running and driving. And, the price was in my range. (Coincidentally, I had finally found a serious buyer for my '74 Jensen-Healey, that I had been trying to sell for years. The timing was perfect.) So, I bought the car.
I knew there would be issues with it. When the dealer never sent me requested pictures of the floors, I expected the worst. (It wasn't so bad. Rust and no carpets, but no holes.)
I had planned to have the car dropped off the transport at a friend's property, where it would be safe until I could get the plates for it. (It takes many weeks, now, to get an appointment at the DMV. The dealer told me the title was irreplaceable, if it got lost, so I was afraid to use the "drop box".)
The dealer told me they had, "driven it around the block", and he assured me it would drive onto the transport with no problem. But, when I asked him if he thought I could drive it the 3 miles from the drop off location, to my driveway, he advised against it. So, again, I expected issues.
The delivery of the vehicle was a thrilling adventure:
The transport had arrived ahead of me, and the driver was nowhere in sight. Minutes went by before he appeared, from the top level of the enclosed transport, where my car was at the forward end. The driver said he couldn't start the car, and asked if I could help. I was eager to, and had brought a battery pack, and 5-gal gas can, if needed. As we rode up the lift/ramp, the driver became very concerned, and kept asking if I was OK about helping. (It's my car! Of course I'm eager to help.)
Getting me into the car was a joke! There was only a few inches of clearance on either side of the car. I got one leg in, then struggled to get the other leg in. Then, the guy started pushing my back, to shove the rest of me in. When I was finally behind the wheel, I saw why the car wouldn't start: he had left the car in Drive. When I put the car in Neutral, it started up. Then, began the slow creep backwards, with the transport guy in front of the car, guiding my steering. Luckily, I'm very skilled with driving left-foot on the brake, right-foot on the gas. I was terrified of driving off the ramp, behind me, into oblivion. The terror increased when I moved outside the confines of the transport, and knew I was on the ramp. My friend and his workers, were gathered, watching, from across the street. When they all let out a simultaneously yell, I held the brake for dear life. The ramp was then lowered, and we were safely on the ground. I don't know if the others could tell, because I had my mask on, but I was grinning and laughing from the whole experience.
I know I "talk" too much, so I'll try to wrap this up, more quickly: After I paid the transport guy (plus tip), one of my friend's workers got behind the wheel, but couldn't get the car to run without stalling, and he said the car wasn't going into neutral. When he added the gas I had brought, he insisted there was water in it. So, they pushed the car into the parking lot. The next day, I siphoned out everything from the tank, and put in fresh gas, but discovered that nothing was coming out of the (rather new) fuel line, so I assume the filter on the sending unit is clogged. I replaced the external fuel filter that had been added between the fuel pump and the carb, and ran a rubber fuel line from the pump, through the drain plug hole in the floor, into the 5-gal tank now in the car. The car is running great with this setup. Dropping the tank is a future project. The engine oil looked old, so I siphoned out everything I could, from the dipstick tube, and filled it with 5w30. After I got the car towed home (I'll spare you that adventure), and jacked-up, I found that the drain plug head was completely stripped. That explained the old oil.
While experimenting with the shifting, while still in the parking lot, I made the car move forward, while in 1st gear. Then, I realized I hadn't released the parking brake! The parking brake didn't seem to want to hold the car, after that, but I don't know if I broke something, or just ruined the adjustment. Under the car, now, I don't see the inspection plate that allows one to adjust the brake, as shown in the manual pictures. I just see two cables going into a closed unit.
The power brakes had been working, but mushy. I figured the fluid level was low, but, the '61 master cylinder setup being the nightmare it is, I didn't add fluid, at first. By the time I drove the car onto the street, while waiting for the tow truck driver, I had lost the brakes completely. So exciting!
Now that the car is home, I've managed to fill the master cylinder. I haven't tried the brakes, yet, but don't see brake fluid leaking from anywhere, so, fingers crossed.
Someone had done a lot of work on this car: new radiator hoses, tires, front brake hoses, and a lot of hardware pieces, all over. There's a new muffler, that isn't hanging properly, and is touching the body (I'm getting some heat shield material, to place between, for now). There's no tail pipe, after it, so fumes get in the car. Not good.
But, when I crawled under, to look at the gear shift cable adjustment, I found that it's missing the wheel. So, apparently it's not the '61 tranny, and looks like a cast iron, '59 or earlier. I'm trying to figure all of this out, with help from your technical forum.
Also, I'm not sure I have the original 361 ci engine. I haven't found any numbers under the distributor, as should be there. The engine and tranny are both very clean, with new hardware, so could very well have been replaced, together. I'm planning to write to the guy on the title (in TN), who owned the car in 2019, to see if he can give me more info.
Meanwhile, Dave is kind enough to post pictures for me. I'm hoping other knowledgeable people can shed light on what I have.
The story about my '64 Chrysler Newport is even more involved, so will have to wait for another time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2021-01-09 11:47 AM (#607549 - in reply to #607546)
Subject: RE: My "new" '61 DeSoto and my '64 Chrysler Newport

Expert 5K+

Here are some photos of Vicki's car, starting when it was for sale in Florida and then when it was delivered in NY.

(BTW Vicki: That was too much work. We really need to teach you how to resize (not just crop), save and upload your own photos).

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-01-09 11:50 AM

(Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_1.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_2.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_3.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_4.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_5.jpg)

(ArrivingFromFlorida_1.jpg)

(ArrivingFromFlorida_2.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInNY_1.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInNY_2.jpg)

(Vickies1961DesotoInNY_3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_1.jpg (185KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_2.jpg (160KB - 167 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_3.jpg (138KB - 166 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_4.jpg (100KB - 167 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInFlorida_5.jpg (139KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments ArrivingFromFlorida_1.jpg (117KB - 170 downloads)
Attachments ArrivingFromFlorida_2.jpg (95KB - 178 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInNY_1.jpg (78KB - 168 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInNY_2.jpg (92KB - 168 downloads)
Attachments Vickies1961DesotoInNY_3.jpg (106KB - 175 downloads)
firedome
Posted 2021-01-10 10:18 AM (#607578 - in reply to #607546)
Subject: Re: My "new" '61 DeSoto and my '64 Chrysler Newport

Expert

Very nice and rare car in the best (4 dr hardtop) body style and a great color combo.
So far so good, might want to get the tank steamed out, new fuel pump and lines a good idea too, then use only non-ethanol premium gas. Probably new tires unless fairly new. A dual master cylinder (a late '60s Dart unit works) and complete brake flush and check up is also a very good idea.
Where in NY? If in the Syracuse area may be able to render some assistance, having had a lot of FL cars over 40+ years. Have fun!

Edited by firedome 2021-01-10 10:21 AM
VickyDeSoto
Posted 2021-01-11 1:22 AM (#607603 - in reply to #607546)

Thanks for your response!
The tires are new, the fuel pump works great, and someone already put in a new fuel line from the tank. I will probably try to get the tank cleaned, but changing the filter on the sending unit may do the trick, at least temporarily.
Where do you find non-ethanol gas??
How complicated is adapting a dual master cylinder, considering the location, the power booster, and all?
I'm on Long Island. Can't get much further!
ronbo97
Posted 2021-01-11 2:36 PM (#607626 - in reply to #607603)

Expert

Nice score. Factory A/C as well. A rarity.

Advice: Don't try to do everything at once. One system at a time. You will need a special tool to remove the rear drums: a tapered axle puller. Otherwise, you will never get the drum off. Single pot m/c is OK. Go thru the entire brake system. Replace everything, even if it 'looks good'. Read thru the shop manual. Become an expert on your car. Get a parts book as well.

Also, there is a ForwardLook group on facebook that has lots of knowledgable folks on it. You'll get answers within hours rather than days. it's a companion to this site. Also the National Desoto Club is on facebook as well.

Ron

ronbo97
Posted 2021-01-11 2:45 PM (#607627 - in reply to #607626)

Expert

Good idea running fresh gas out of a gas can. As an improvement, you can attach a one gallon can, using zip ties, to anywhere it will fit in the engine compartment. Or even hang it outside in front of the grille. Next to the rad on the passenger side looks like a good option. Then just run a rubber fuel line to the inlet port on the fuel pump. That would eliminate the problem of fumes escaping nto the air while you are driving. Also, removes the possibility of the can tipping over in case of a quick stop. Spilling gas into the passenger area would be a big problem if it happened.

Good Luck !

Ron

Powerflite
Posted 2021-01-11 3:09 PM (#607628 - in reply to #607546)

Expert 5K+

That's how I drive my cars around my yard. When they sit a long time, the fuel will gum up the tank so I don't like to put gas into them. I use this method until I am ready to put them on the road and I swap the bottle around to whichever car I am moving. The rubber fuel line makes a pretty good seal with the cap, and the bottle is an old oil container. They sell 2 gal oil containers too if you would like to put a larger quantity there.

(Temp Fuel Can.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Temp Fuel Can.jpg (108KB - 170 downloads)
VickyDeSoto
Posted 2021-01-12 2:16 AM (#607641 - in reply to #607546)

You guys are funny!
I know you mean well, but your little gas containers hung around your cars are only suitable for running around your yards, as you're doing. Mine is a highway setup. I first devised it for my '61 Falcon, when I had to drive a few miles to my mechanic to have him install a preformed stainless fuel line, that I just couldn't fit in while the car was just jacked up.
As then, I have the flexible line going from the fuel pump, tie-wrapped to the old fuel line, then run up through the floor, through a grommet I make for the drain opening, into the 5-gal. tank. The tank is a squat, stable design, but I have it blocked up, anyway. It's not going anywhere. I have so much duct tape securing the hose to the mouth of the tank, there are no fumes, at all. Then, I just throw a blanket over it, so no one knows any better. Works like a charm!
I joined the Desoto club before my car even arrived in N Y. And, one of those members suggested I join ForwardLook.
I'm not going to tell you how many cars I have, or how many decades I've been wrenching on cars, bikes, and boat engines, including diesel. But, though I'm far from a newbie, I have plenty to learn, and a couple of your technical guys have been very generous with information.
My previous acquisition was a junkyard rescue, my '64 Chrysler Newport. I had to completely replace the entire brake system, along with most of the fuel system, etc., etc. When my regular mechanic was too busy to get involved, I tried a different guy someone recommended, to do the stuff requiring a lift. After that someone charged me a good chunk of money for the work he did, he announced he was unable to get the drums off, and suggested I should maybe have the axles cut off. I didn't accept this, and drove the car home (around 3am) using the emergency brake. I found a guy on YouTube with a '64 Newport, same color, but more rusted than mine. He showed how he pulled off the drums, using a 5-legged tool, and a 1-inch breaker-bar. I found the tool online (comes with 3 legs, I bought the extra 2 legs), and rented a 3/4-inch breaker-bar. I got my drums off, and rebuilt the brakes.
So, I have the tools, though I know the DeSoto is more complex, with those dual wheel cylinders in the front.
But, someone before me did a lot of work on my car, (I even spotted new front brake hoses), so I just have to go through it, to see what still needs to be done. This is the fun part!
Actually, it's all the fun part!

VickyDeSoto
Posted 2021-01-12 2:28 AM (#607642 - in reply to #607546)

PS. I already have the shop manuals, including the '61 Supplement, and the parts book.

I avoid Facebook, and uninstalled it from my phone. It's way too intrusive.
ronbo97
Posted 2021-01-12 9:29 AM (#607644 - in reply to #607642)

Expert

Yes, the one-gallon can is just a temporary solution to drive the car up and down the street, etc. The goal, of course, is to switch over to the tank as soon as it's been gone thru, along with the fuel line being replaced or blown out to assure no blockage.

The dual wheel cylinders are no big deal. You just have to know the order to bleed them after everything is in place.

Ron

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)