The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Converting an eBrake warning light from Incandescent to LED
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2021-01-21 9:29 PM (#607996)
Subject: Converting an eBrake warning light from Incandescent to LED

Expert 5K+

This example of converting an eBrake warning light from using a conventional incandescent bulb to an LED bulb is based on the 56 Dodge but I presume (hope) that it will apply to other lines and years as well.

The inspiration (read: kick in the keester to get it done) came from DelS (Dels56) who also has a 56 Dodge and had made this change using a Grote 49332 bulb. I've had an unlabeled integral LED light and lens (probably a Grote) for a couple of years (neighbour gave it to me). But I wasn't unhappy with the conventional GE90 bulb that I had installed back in July 2018. That is until it burned out and I could NOT get it out of the housing.

Going back to the beginning, the eBrake warning light was an option for 56 Dodge Coronets and Royals but standard equipment on Custom Royals (like mine and DelSs).

The 56 Dodge Accessories brochure called the light the "Parking Brake Warning Light"

When I purchased my car, the bulb was missing. Since it wasn't listed in the owner's manual it was a bit of a problem finding out what the incandescent bulb was (I needed to call in a favour or two from 56 Dodge Custom Royal owners). They confirmed that the bulb was the 2 pin base, single filament, GE90. Not expensive (so why change to LED? More to follow)

Getting the new bulb in and settled required a suction cup (my neighbour lent me one from some kids toy) because once you put the bulb in the housing there is nothing to grab on to twist it into place (two pin base, single filament bulb).

Once I had the bulb in place I discovered that a) it got real hot real quick and was and had previously melted the red plastic lens and b) the warning light was on when the brake was on both with the key turned to RUN (IGN) and Accessory (ACC). Since I didn't want to melt my light lens while parking and listening to the radio (converted to AM/FM/Bluetooth/USB/iPod) with the key turned to ACC while I was working on the car, I changed the source of the power to the ACC terminal on the back of the ignition switch. (From IGN to the ACC terminal circled in red):

Happy days!!

For a while.

Then sometime in 2020, the light stopped working. Annoying but not fatal. I ignored fixing it until I was spending time in that area recently (shifter housing games, signal light flasher follies, etc.). Finally after emailing with DelS (Dels56) about the issue and him telling me that he had already converted his to LED, I decided to get on it and use the LED light that I had been saving (read: procrastinating) until I was desperate. Well desperate might be a bit overkill - but Frus-Freaking-trated would not be wrong. I figured it was just the bulb but I could not get the bulb out (I needed that suction cup!). In the end, I just cut the warning light socket off and removed it from the car. This was going to end.

To get the Grote style integral LED and lens into the OE warning light housing you have to remove the bakelite bit at the back of the housing. DelS said that his just came out. No such luck for me. I had to crush mine with pliers and then extract the bits. This made loading the Grote LED in from the front very easy. It fits under the OE chrome threaded bezel perfectly.

DelS used a Grote 49332 that came with long wires terminating with bullets. DelS said "I did change one wire from the Grote by cutting off the bullet and putting a 1/4" eye on for the ground. Hot is from the ignition switch and connected with a female bullet connection to the Grote wire."

My (DaveF's) Grote was wired differently so I added a bit of wire to the white (ground) wire and a bullet connector for the connection at the grounding switch. For the power, I used a pair of shielded/insulated male/female connectors to eliminate any chance of shorting. One point that should be made is you need to make sure that the total length of the wire going to the grounding switch is long enough so when you release the brake, the wire doesn't get pulled, i.e. there is still some slack.

Here are photos of this conversion from both DelS (thanks Del) and me showing our joint efforts, ending with the seemingly blinding LED warning light. It is VERY bright, not to be ignored (which is a good thing).

(PS: I don't think that there is a GE90 equivalent LED bulb that would fit in the OE socket under the OE lens and chrome bezel. If there is, please post it up in a reply. My Grote was free and DelS's was about $15 which might be hard to beat, even if there is an LED bulb that does fit)

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-01-22 10:56 AM

(eBrakeWarningLight_DelSsOESocketLensLockNutAndChromeBezel.jpg)

(eBrakeWarningLight_DelSsGrote49332LEDLightAndAdjustedOESocketAndBezel.jpg)

(eBrakeWarningLight_DelSsGrote49332LEDLightLoadedInOESocketWithOEBezel.jpg)

(eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsVersionOfThePosAndNegLEDHarness.jpg)

(eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsLEDGroundConnectionAtWarningLightSwitch.jpg)

(eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsHotConnectionIgnitionToBlackLEDWireShieldedMaleAndFemaleConnectors.jpg)

(eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsVersionInAction.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DelSsOESocketLensLockNutAndChromeBezel.jpg (153KB - 228 downloads)
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DelSsGrote49332LEDLightAndAdjustedOESocketAndBezel.jpg (157KB - 225 downloads)
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DelSsGrote49332LEDLightLoadedInOESocketWithOEBezel.jpg (96KB - 223 downloads)
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsVersionOfThePosAndNegLEDHarness.jpg (70KB - 233 downloads)
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsLEDGroundConnectionAtWarningLightSwitch.jpg (185KB - 233 downloads)
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsHotConnectionIgnitionToBlackLEDWireShieldedMaleAndFemaleConnectors.jpg (87KB - 219 downloads)
Attachments eBrakeWarningLight_DaveFsVersionInAction.jpg (132KB - 233 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2021-01-21 11:55 PM (#608002 - in reply to #607996)
Subject: RE: Converting an eBrake warning light from Incandescent to LED

There are some direct plug-ins out there

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-ge89-and-ge90-replacement-for-attwood-perko/

However, I've tried them and they don't seem to last very long - especially for the emergency brake warning light!  Dave, your hard-wired solution may be best.

56D500boy
Posted 2021-01-22 1:43 AM (#608006 - in reply to #608002)
Subject: RE: Converting an eBrake warning light from Incandescent to LED

Expert 5K+

Lancer Mike - 2021-01-21 8:55 PM
There are some direct plug-ins out there
https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-ge89-and-ge90-replacement-for-a...

However, I've tried them and they don't seem to last very long - especially for the emergency brake warning light!  Dave, your hard-wired solution may be best.

Thanks Mike. Not sure if that would fit my 56 Dodge housing. Seems quite wide at the top.

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-01-22 1:44 AM
Powerflite
Posted 2021-01-22 1:51 PM (#608040 - in reply to #607996)
Subject: Re: Converting an eBrake warning light from Incandescent to LED

Expert 5K+

Remember on my '58 Dodge thread where I tried to convert mine to an LED? I used one of those direct replacements as well, and finally found some that would fit, only to find out that the Chinese decided to also connect the ground to the housing on a 2 pin bulb. Stupid. Made it always on unless you either isolated the housing somehow, or opened up the LED unit and snipped the wire. I gave up at that point and put the bulb back in. Del's idea is a better plan.
Powerflite
Posted 2021-01-22 1:59 PM (#608041 - in reply to #607996)

Expert 5K+

The nice thing about your conversion is it eliminates melted lenses too. Most of these lenses are melted at this point.
1960fury
Posted 2021-01-22 5:35 PM (#608048 - in reply to #607996)

Expert 5K+

I found a bright red led that looks exactly like the OE lense that fits perfectly, as mentioned in an older thread. Unfortunately I only posted an Ebay link, no pictures. That link is now defunct.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)