The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Use of a 55 Windsor Wiring Connector Clip on a 56 Dodge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2021-01-30 11:41 PM (#608389)
Subject: Use of a 55 Windsor Wiring Connector Clip on a 56 Dodge

Expert 5K+

I've recently been working on my 56 Dodge signal light, horn and eBrake warning light wiring - mostly under the steering column (but some above). I got that done and working (a few issues along the way). Then I decided that I wanted to tidy up the wiring under the steering column. On the first attempt, I used that black flexible corrugated plastic tubing that everyone hates (but it does work). That and some electricians tape (as needed). I wasn't completely happy but it was much better than when I bought the car which fits with my "make it better (than it was)" mantra.

Yesterday, as I was poking around my power brake project photos and diagrams, I noticed a clip that shows on the brake pedal bracket. My 56 Dodge never had such a clip (at least not in the last 29 years or so). However, I realized that the 55 Windsor power brake pedal bracket that I got from John F. at BigM just before Christmas came with such a clip. I had removed the clip before I derusted the Windsor pedal assembly and sort of forgot about it. I found the clip in the box of so far unused parts from that pedal assembly and noted that the 55 Windsor pedal bracket and my 56 Dodge pedal bracket have similar slots in them to receive this clip.

Taking the clip out to the garage and trying it with the flasher connector, I realized that the clip was intended to hold the flasher connector (in the middle) and two other smaller/flatter 3 wire connectors at the outer ends. These would be the other wiring connectors involved in the signal lights and horn (and brake lights too).

So out the garage to disassemble the black plastic wiring control tubing and start over.

The connector clips into the pedal bracket very easily. (That said, there is a wrong way and a better way - guess which one I tried first ).

With the clip in the pedal bracket, I realized that I needed to rearrange the way I had the wiring (or more correctly, the way that the wiring presented itself to me). This involved removing wires from the flatter connectors, one at a time and labeling them as to position, maneuvering the connector around obstructions, e.g. the cable from the heater control to the heater, and then getting it into position and adding the labeled wires in the correct order. The flasher connector was a piece of cake (ish).

I probably still need to readjust some of the wires, e.g. my blue tach signal wire isn't in the best location at the moment, *BUT* things are still way better than they were.

I think tomorrow, I will add some of the black corrugated wire covering around the 7 wires as they go into the opening in the steering column on their way to the signal light switch and horn switch, just so they don't chafe and rub and short out at some point in the future.

Some photos, etc. from today:

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-01-31 2:23 PM

(PedalAssemblyShowingWiringClip.jpg)

(OEClipOn55WindsorPowerBrakePedalAssemby_Annotated.jpg)

(OEWiringClipWithTrialFitOfFlasherSocketShowingFirstAttemptAtWiringControl.jpg)

(OE55WindsorWiringClipOn56DodgePowerBrakeBracket_Empty.jpg)

(DisassemblyOf3WireConnectorNo1AndLabelingOfWiresPriorToInstallationInConnectorClipOnBrakePedalBracket.jpg)

(56DodgeSignalLightAndHornWiringConnectorsIn55WindsorConnectorClip_Annotated.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PedalAssemblyShowingWiringClip.jpg (185KB - 266 downloads)
Attachments OEClipOn55WindsorPowerBrakePedalAssemby_Annotated.jpg (173KB - 258 downloads)
Attachments OEWiringClipWithTrialFitOfFlasherSocketShowingFirstAttemptAtWiringControl.jpg (138KB - 262 downloads)
Attachments OE55WindsorWiringClipOn56DodgePowerBrakeBracket_Empty.jpg (141KB - 260 downloads)
Attachments DisassemblyOf3WireConnectorNo1AndLabelingOfWiresPriorToInstallationInConnectorClipOnBrakePedalBracket.jpg (142KB - 261 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeSignalLightAndHornWiringConnectorsIn55WindsorConnectorClip_Annotated.jpg (173KB - 271 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2021-01-31 8:34 PM (#608435 - in reply to #608389)
Subject: RE: Use of a 55 Windsor Wiring Connector Clip on a 56 Dodge

Expert 5K+

56D500boy - 2021-01-30 8:41 PM
I think tomorrow, I will add some of the black corrugated wire covering around the 7 wires as they go into the opening in the steering column on their way to the signal light switch and horn switch, just so they don't chafe and rub and short out at some point in the future.

So that is what I did today. Wires from the flatter connectors in two groups of three in the smaller diameter cable tubing with the wire from the flasher left out on its own until all seven (7) wires make a dash for it up the steering column, then into a larger diameter tube (Mostly to protect from chafing).

Not 100% happy with things but they are better and there shouldn't be issues. Everything (signals, brake light, horn) still work and that is really all that I wanted. That and wiring that was less messy that what came with the car. Job done.

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-01-31 8:38 PM

(56DodgeSignalLightAndHornWiringConnectorsIn55WindsorConnectorClip_WiringTaming_1.jpg)

(56DodgeSignalLightAndHornWiringConnectorsIn55WindsorConnectorClip_WiringTaming_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeSignalLightAndHornWiringConnectorsIn55WindsorConnectorClip_WiringTaming_1.jpg (151KB - 264 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeSignalLightAndHornWiringConnectorsIn55WindsorConnectorClip_WiringTaming_2.jpg (158KB - 269 downloads)
56D500boy
Posted 2021-07-15 2:26 AM (#613524 - in reply to #608435)
Subject: RE: Use of a 55 Windsor Wiring Connector Clip on a 56 Dodge

Expert 5K+

I must have missed this before: One of Powerflite's (Nathan's) 56 Furys has the wiring connector clip on the pedal bracket:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)