The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips on Saving Door Panels
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

AceS
Posted 2021-02-04 4:59 PM (#608534)
Subject: Tips on Saving Door Panels

Veteran

I don't mess around much with interior work, but I want to try and save this one door panel since the others are in good shape. I'm looking for some tips on how to:

1) Reseal the two colors of vinyl together. I tried hot glue once before at it only lasted a year. I'm considering hand stitching it together.
2) Good strong products for removing grime. Regular soap and water and grease removers are not doing it.

I don't expect this thing to turn out perfect, but just be somewhat presentable... and to keep it from further deteriorating along the seam.

Any tips appreciated!

(IMG_0842.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0842.jpg (78KB - 146 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2021-02-04 6:16 PM (#608538 - in reply to #608534)
Subject: RE: Tips on Saving Door Panels

Expert 5K+

Not sure if your door panels have any chrome (stainless) strips but they do help to cover seams when you are re-doing the door panels.

I've redone 3 out of 4 of my door panels (the 4th was good enough to leave (mostly) alone.

For the door cards I used both 1/8" thick Masonite (2 of the 3) and purchased cardboard cards (they still needed some adjustments). The foam backing came from a laminate flooring project. 3M spray glue can be your friend. New vinyl from a boat supply store might be needed in some cases.

One of my two threads on this topic:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69434&...

Good luck. Come back here if you have questions.

AceS
Posted 2021-02-04 8:56 PM (#608543 - in reply to #608538)
Subject: RE: Tips on Saving Door Panels

Veteran

Thanks, I read your thread. 3M Super 77: I will have to check out for foam and backing adhesive.

On other notes, thankfully my backing material is good. However, this is a Deluxe trim level car so there is no stainless or chrome strips to hide where the two colors of vinyl join together. It appears that they were heated and kind of welded together? I need to find a referral for some type of adhesive material that can glue these two pieces of vinyl together. I previously used hot glue for fabrics and it seemed ok at first, but did not hold
Powerflite
Posted 2021-02-05 12:38 PM (#608549 - in reply to #608534)
Subject: Re: Tips on Saving Door Panels

Expert 5K+

Cleaning the white off to the point that it will look good is mostly a lost cause. You will likely have to paint it with some vinyl paint to make it look like it should. Sewing it back together could work, but it will likely cause the joint to fail if the vinyl is brittle. A 5min epoxy might work if you can press the joint together with sufficient force for the full cure time. After it is joined well with epoxy, you can add a couple of stitches to ensure it stays together over the long term. I've never attempted this, but this is just my first guess.
AceS
Posted 2021-02-06 6:16 PM (#608587 - in reply to #608549)

Veteran

Well the good news is that after pressing the vinyl where it has separated the curl seems to have flattened out. A few more days and I think I'll try a little heat via iron next to assure it sets that way. I like the idea of combining the forces of epoxy AND stitching. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately the "white"is actually sky blue. I have not been able to find a sky blue vinyl dye, so it gets cleaned and whatever the result is, is what I get. The side note on this is that my local upholsterer also cannot find any sky blue vinyl fabric..... which is another reason I'm trying to save this thing.
Powerflite
Posted 2021-02-06 8:51 PM (#608592 - in reply to #608534)

Expert 5K+

You can mix up your own vinyl dye. Just use a dull base color coat paint and mix some plastic flex additive into it. An adhesion promoter will likely be required first as well. Any good painter could help you out to get this done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)