The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Ply Sport Coupe window alignment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Phil
Posted 2021-02-15 9:37 AM (#608927)
Subject: 57 Ply Sport Coupe window alignment

New User

Hi everybody,

I am not native English speaking, please excuse if I am making up funny words for some of the parts and components.

I am trying to line up resp. to get the side windows to somewhat seal up on my 57.

I have read through the Plymouth manuals on how to align everything, got the doors to close very nicely. However, the windows are not lining up all too good.
The gap between the driver side door window to the rear is almost good (about 1/16”).
The passenger side gap is quite bad (about 5/16”). The front of the window and vent window frame is sitting nice and without much pressure with the door closed. The rear of the door window sticks out.
I tried to adjust the window sliding guide inside the door to get the glass closer to the rubber seal of the rear window. The problem is; if I push the sliders in the right direction or angle the window does not go down anymore.
There is too much resistance due to the glass sliders not lining up (front /rear) even with the front sliding guide and vent window frame all loosened up.
The second issue is, the rear upper window limiting bracket (can be adjusted to limit the lift of the glass when cranking up) hits the lower U-frame in which the glass sits and almost scrapes the glass.

This is my first pillar-less classic I am working on. If anybody knows a trick to this and I am missing something, your help would be would be greatly appreciated.

I will be replacing the weather strip between the front and rear window as they are torn on the bottom and the outside whiskers.
If anybody knows a good address please let me know.
I am looking at moparmall.com and oldmoparts.com currently.

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Phil

(2.jpg)

(1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2.jpg (197KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments 1.jpg (204KB - 156 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viper Guy
Posted 2021-02-15 11:16 AM (#608940 - in reply to #608927)
Subject: Re: 57 Ply Sport Coupe window alignment

Expert

Hi Phil, I'll do the best I can regarding the window adjustment and others might have even better advice.

First of all you have to have complete access to the window regulator from inside the car. Sightly loosen just enough so everything that can be "adjustable" is able to
move and position the window the best you can to "fit" it to line up with the door window. Tighten the screws/bolts just enough to work the mechanism and make sure it
goes up and down the way it's supposed to. This adjustment includes up and forward motion that both have to be considered with all the weather strips in place.
In the down position the window might expose a tiny bit of the window frame. Once you are satisfied with the operation, snug up the screws/bolts and position
all the stops so the window always "parks" the way you want it to. This might include "fuzzies" that keep the window from scratching.

Next is the door glass. If the door window goes up and down in the channels and the window "up" stop is properly adjusted, basically the only thing left is the channel
adjustments to seal the quarter window "in" or "out". You may have to work the quarter window a little at this point too but you're almost done. Just make sure everything
functions to your satisfaction before putting all your trim panels, window and door handles, and armrests back on.

Like I said, there may be others on this forum that are more informative. My experience is primarily with "55/"56 models but there might be a lot of similarities.

Best of luck!

Edited by Viper Guy 2021-02-15 11:26 AM
LD3 Greg
Posted 2021-02-16 12:44 AM (#608973 - in reply to #608927)
Subject: RE: 57 Ply Sport Coupe window alignment

Expert

I have restored a lot of these cars and, believe it or not, it is possible to align the side glass to look perfect and seal enough to not leak even with a high pressure power wash!

It will take a long time and it is not easy and there are NO tricks to it. It is just a trial and error again and again situation! To do this job will take a long time, so, as I look at your car, the first thing I suggest is to remove the front seat. Place padding etc. so you can kneel comfortably inside to do this time consuming job!

On your adjustments be sure to elevate the quarter panel glass assembly enough to allow that bottom forward w/strip to glide past without tearing. I failed to do that on my last restoration!!

Greg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)