The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Powder coating questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Apollo 61
Posted 2021-03-23 3:44 PM (#610283)
Subject: Powder coating questions

Elite Veteran

What are your guys opinions on powder coating vs painting.
I hear stories of easy chipping and peeling on powder coated parts.
What are the do's and dont's of powder coating.
Are there some parts that you powder coat and that you don't?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2021-03-23 3:50 PM (#610284 - in reply to #610283)
Subject: Re: Powder coating questions

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

As I understood it, powdercoating parts are like putting them in a plastic bag - all is fine until it's gets a crack or leaks. Then the rust gets good access under the coating and you don't see it.

Paint will chip and there might be some rust, but you see it and can fix it before anything gets worse...
TerryM
Posted 2021-03-23 7:40 PM (#610292 - in reply to #610284)

Veteran

I've had a powder coated chassis for 27 years without issues. But I had a trailer once that the previous owner had powder coated, It had rusted away behind the powder coating. It was made worse as it lived its time near the ocean.
LostDeere59
Posted 2021-03-24 10:02 AM (#610301 - in reply to #610283)
Subject: RE: Powder coating questions

Extreme Veteran

In my experience powder coating is not all the same. Some systems/applicators do a better job than others.

For example I use and maintain 4 rollback tow trucks - two with Miller bodies, two with JerrDan bodies.

The Miller bodies look terrible - rust, blistering, generally just a mess. We even had one that was so bad Miller agreed to pay to have it sandblasted and repainted with epoxy primer/paint.

The two JerrDan bodies show some wear and tear, but overall are clearly waaaayyyy better. I recently rehabbed the rear of one of the JerrDans (new light housings, some re-wiring, updated lighting) and as part of that cleaned, primed, and painted the few areas where the original coating had failed. These were all areas of physical damage - contact points at bolted on components, wear points from chains, etc.

Apparently the JerrDan powder coating is better bonded tot he base metal - there was little to no indication of the corrosion working its way under the coating in any substantial way. And the two JerrDan trucks are the older of the 4, bu about 5 years. These trucks all have over 300K miles on them.

Gregg

wizard
Posted 2021-03-24 12:25 PM (#610308 - in reply to #610283)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Far as I understand for good corrosion protection, the parts must be sand (media) blåstes and the coated with a powder costing zink primer before the top powder coat is applied.

I think the parts that cracks and rusts has only the top powder coat?!
58coupe
Posted 2021-03-25 11:39 AM (#610342 - in reply to #610283)

Expert

The steel wing struts on my airplane are powder coated. Operating from a gravel airstrip the prop picks up rocks and these hit the struts. The old struts would get many rock chips in the paint and then rust. the powder coated struts do not chip like the old ones. I am very happy with powder coating.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)