The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some comments regarding installation of a Volvo Heater valve in a 56 Dodge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2021-04-12 11:05 PM (#610963)
Subject: Some comments regarding installation of a Volvo Heater valve in a 56 Dodge

Expert 5K+

From the moment I purchased my 56 Dodge in September 2016, I knew there was an issue with the heater valve and/or heater core. There were signs of past leakage including on the carpet (not original to the car) and a little in the footwell metal. It wasn't serious so I took my time getting to the project to replace the valve. During this time, I researched repair and/or replacement of the Ranco heater valve in this thread:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67959&...

I purchased some NAPA/Balcamp heater valve replacement rubber but I also purchased a repro Ranco valve off eBay that was listed as being for an older Volvo. Price was okay so I bought it. And put it on a shelf until recently. Then it seemed that the heater core was actually leaking (towards the engine bay but still) so I opened the can of worms with the intent of fixing the heater core and, oh yeah, while I was at it, replacing the OE (I presume) Ranco heater valve with the new "Volvo" valve.

This is what I started with:

Inside:

Engine Bay - side:

Once I got the heater plenum and core off the firewall, I removed the old heater valve. Then after cleaning things up a bit (including some painting in the heater valve area), I started putting things (heater core, plenum, etc) back. Then I tried to install the new Volvo heater valve.

First surprise was the long (too long) OE heater valve installation screws that went through the heater valve retainer, the firewall and then into the OE heater valve were smaller than the holes in the new heater valve.

Second "surprise" was that the Buick heater valve grommet needed a bit of massaging. I had to trim the top and bottom ends a bit to make it fit inside/under the retainer better. I also had to ream the lower hole open some more so it better fit the fatter (valve chamber) portion of the heater valve. My heater valve retainer had been bent at some point so I had to straight it out (2 minutes in a vice).

So the main issue became replacing the OE installation screws with either fatter screws or threaded machine screws. I went with 1.25" long stainless steel 10-24 machine screws and nyloc nuts. I could feed lower installation screw in thru the lower hole in the retainer and get the nut started but, working on my own, I could not do the same at the top retaining hole. My solution was to feed the machine screw from the interior side and then get the nut started on the engine bay side. Then I taped my small 1/4" drive rachet in place (with a 3/8" socket) and turned the machine screw from interior side with a Phillips screw driver. If you had a helper, you could feed both screws through the retainer holes from the engine bay side and put the nuts on both on the interior side. I will live with the two different machine screw directions for now (until I can harangue some one to help me for 5 minutes).

Here are the photos from the installation:

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-04-13 1:21 PM

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_EmptySpace.jpg)

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_Trimmed.jpg)

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainer.jpg)

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainer_Inside.jpg)

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainerAndUHose.jpg)

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainerAndUHoseAndInletAndOutletHeaterHoses.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_EmptySpace.jpg (135KB - 260 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_Trimmed.jpg (128KB - 257 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainer.jpg (162KB - 265 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainer_Inside.jpg (134KB - 267 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainerAndUHose.jpg (153KB - 264 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterValveAndBuickGrommet_PlusRetainerAndUHoseAndInletAndOutletHeaterHoses.jpg (140KB - 267 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2022-11-13 3:02 AM (#625548 - in reply to #610963)
Subject: RE: Some comments regarding installation of a Volvo Heater valve in a 56 Dodge

Expert 5K+

It has been some time since I installed that Ranco style "Volvo" heater valve. It works but it is making me crazy.

I had the car out today to run some errands. It was about 7C (45F) and nice and sunny and dry. But still chilly enough for me.

So I had the heater and the fan on. I would get heat for a bit but then it would go cold (it seemed). I checked the heater hoses when I stopped and at least one of them was hot (engine was up to temp (180 F)).

Is that temperature compensation feature (via that coiled tube) turning off the flow through the heater core?? I would rather just have it on and manually controlled.

wizard
Posted 2022-11-13 4:30 AM (#625549 - in reply to #610963)
Subject: Re: Some comments regarding installation of a Volvo Heater valve in a 56 Dodge

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Hi Dave, the capillary tube is supposed to balance the opening of the heater valve to the chosen level of heat.
Please check that you have the valve connected as in the picture below.

(Heater and hose connections_rez.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Heater and hose connections_rez.jpg (228KB - 65 downloads)
56D500boy
Posted 2022-11-14 9:05 PM (#625589 - in reply to #625549)
Subject: Re: Some comments regarding installation of a Volvo Heater valve in a 56 Dodge

Expert 5K+

wizard - 2022-11-13 1:30 AM
Hi Dave, the capillary tube is supposed to balance the opening of the heater valve to the chosen level of heat.
Please check that you have the valve connected as in the picture below.

I might not have my hoses connected correctly. I do have the heater valve installed so the curved tube is on the top and the straight tube is on the bottom (and then the straight tube connects to the bottom of the heater core via the "U" hose. I now better understand the need to have the inflow to the valve connected to the curved tube, based on this info from a Volvo 122 forum posting.

*HOWEVER*, I do have problems with which hose from the water pump housing is out and which hose is return (I will try to sort that in a separate post). That might provide my answer

For now:

Edited by 56D500boy 2022-11-14 11:25 PM

(56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterHoseConnections.jpg)

(VolvoP18_20HeaterValveFunctionDescription.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeHeaterValve_VolvoHeaterValveInstallation_HeaterHoseConnections.jpg (136KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments VolvoP18_20HeaterValveFunctionDescription.jpg (159KB - 68 downloads)
22mafeja
Posted 2022-11-15 2:07 AM (#625595 - in reply to #610963)
Subject: RE: Some comments regarding installation of a Volvo Heater valve in a 56 Dodge

Elite Veteran

Your upper hose on the valve should be the pressure house from the nipple further back from the water pump pressure housing. The nipple in connection with the pressure housing is the return
hose from heater core.
56D500boy
Posted 2022-11-15 2:33 AM (#625596 - in reply to #625595)

Expert 5K+

22mafeja - 2022-11-14 11:07 PM
Your upper hose on the valve should be the pressure house from the nipple further back from the water pump pressure housing. The nipple in connection with the pressure housing is the return
hose from heater core.

Ralf: Thanks. Can you answer, again, in my new "hose" thread using terminology that I use in that thread (Thanks):

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=77976&...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)