The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 Imperial engine colors
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Imp1955
Posted 2021-04-14 4:35 PM (#611037)
Subject: 1955 Imperial engine colors

Hi,

I am rebuilding my 1955 engine and I need to know the colours of the engine and accessry parts.
From what I found the engine block, cylinder heads and valve covers should be silver. The spark wire cover is black.
All accessories (air filter, generator,...) are black as well.

Question: can anyone tell for sure if the "Chrysler Firepower" scripting on the valve covers was painted back in 1955?
Some cars show black or red colouring, some are painted silver like the rest of the valve cover.

Thank You
Werner
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2021-04-14 7:08 PM (#611046 - in reply to #611037)
Subject: Re: 1955 Imperial engine colors

Expert 5K+

They weren't originally painted a different color. Just silver with the rest of the valve cover. This is true for all of the Chrysler hemi motors from '51-'58 (except the '55-'58 300 covers were gold instead of silver). Some owners have chose to paint the lettering separately to make them stand out more. Here is an untouched original valve cover. Notice that the original spark plug decals are still showing on it. The lettering is silver.

But, there is one exception to that, that I can think of. The Marine hemi valve covers had the lettering painted a different color. That's the only one I can think of. Chrysler truck motors were painted all silver, but sometimes had decals on them, and industrial motors were painted all one color - usually red, but it probably varied depending on application.

Edited by Powerflite 2021-04-14 7:21 PM

(57NY Gold Engine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY Gold Engine.jpg (200KB - 157 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)