The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brake Bleeding
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

samstrader
Posted 2021-04-24 3:19 PM (#611399)
Subject: Brake Bleeding

Extreme Veteran

I posted this on another thread but since it worked so well for me, I wanted to make it a completely separate post just for brake bleeding.

Thanks Dels56. I like your method...

I've had a low pedal and when I changed my rear cylinder rubbers it looked like the wheel cylinder was only half full with fluid. I think this is what caused the wheel cylinder to leak. I reassembled everything and without doing any bleeding, I pressed on the brake pedal and it was a low pedal but was rock solid firm when it got down to the bottom. I was surprised because I know there was air in that cylinder and thought it would be mushy. But it was solid.

I decided to try a gravity bleed method because this would keep positive pressure on the system whenever bleeding. I filled the master cylinder, took the wheel off and lowered the car as low as I could without grounding the brake drum and then opened the wheel cylinder bleeder and let it bleed. It was a medium speed drip so it took a while. I bled about a cup out of each wheel cylinder like this. Now the fluid coming out of each cylinder is very clean.

I now have the highest and best brake pedal I have ever had on this car. I think I just finally got it bled out correctly. I've been bleeding brakes all my life and now I wonder if I have ever done it right. This gravity bleed method gave me the best results I've every got from a bleed out standpoint and also from a brake fluid change out standpoint. I was surprised. But I'm going to use this method from now on. It's very simple. Also, since it bleeds so slow, you have much less risk of accidentally letting the master cylinder run dry. It was real easy to keep up with the brake fluid level in the MC.

I didn't use a bleeder bottle. Just let the fluid come out of the bleeder and catch the drips in a cup.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Todd
Posted 2021-04-25 5:50 AM (#611415 - in reply to #611399)
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeding

Veteran

That sounds very interesting Sam. I have never tried this method before. So I can bleed several wbc at the same time, right? How many minutes per wbc? Do I have to pay attention to anything important?

Edited by Todd 2021-04-25 5:52 AM
matt
Posted 2021-04-25 10:34 AM (#611426 - in reply to #611399)

Veteran

Did you adjust the brakes before or after you bleed the brakes?
I will try this way to
samstrader
Posted 2021-05-04 12:37 AM (#611689 - in reply to #611399)

Extreme Veteran

I adjusted the brakes after bleeding but I had a high pedal before I adjusted them. My brakes weren't out of adjustment very much if any at all. But this bleeding method sure was less stressful and worked real good. I tried it on another one of my cars that I was changing out the brake fluid on and it worked just as well on it.
samstrader
Posted 2021-05-04 12:41 AM (#611690 - in reply to #611399)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry Todd, I forgot to answer your question. I only bled one wheel cylinder at a time. I was worried that with two open, one might siphon from the other somehow and get air in the system. I felt like just doing one wheel cylinder at a time was more certain to keep air out of the system and I felt like I had more control of what was going on. I took about 10 minutes to get clean brake fluid out of the passenger rear wheel, which is the first one I did and I got clean brake fluid out of the others after 5 minutes. but I let them bleed longer just to get a better flush. I use about 3/4 of a quart of brake fluid for the whole system.

The only thing you have to watch for is to make sure you don't let the master cylinder run dry. That will really set you back. Once you get the wheel low enough as relative to the master cylinder the brake fluid will flow out. You have to open the bleeder a couple of rounds using this method instead of just cracking it open. Other than this, it's pretty easy.

Edited by samstrader 2021-05-04 12:45 AM
Todd
Posted 2021-05-04 8:49 AM (#611699 - in reply to #611399)

Veteran

Thanks Sam. The next time i will bleed the system like you did.
Stroller
Posted 2021-05-14 10:32 AM (#611968 - in reply to #611399)

Extreme Veteran

I still just do it the old fashioned way. Vehicle up and level starting with right rear, then left rear, then left front and finally right front. And yep me happy until all bleeders are flowing open at the same time. AS long as everything is good it will flow. With the system empty I spray a good amount of CRC brake cleaner, the red can, through the metal lines and follow up with compressed air. If dual wheel cylinders start with the lowest mounted cylinder at each corner. Finally use bleeder caps to keep road gunk from building up in them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)