The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas Tank Question: 58 DeSoto Firesweep
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

furvedere
Posted 2021-05-25 9:26 PM (#612241)
Subject: Gas Tank Question: 58 DeSoto Firesweep

Veteran

Ive had my Firesweep ten years now...After I got it..probably 2-3 years into it, I had a problem with sediment plugging up gas filter which is located just after the fuel pump. I changed the filter dropped the gas and filtered it several times till it came out reasonably clean. Ran well for another 7-8 years. Now I'm having problems again only this time even after I changed filter it would not run properly. Its actually starving for gas when accelerating to the point where you can get stranded on the road. Happened twice but I limped back home. Would you just drop tank at this point and replace...or take it to a radiator shop/get it coated inside or just filter and filter again until it looks reasonably clean again? I think they're available. Quick look on internet indicates Van's has them for $275 and ebay has them too but at a higher price...well over $300. Any recommendations? Is it difficult to pull tank off fill spout once straps are unhooked? I take it there's Rubber o-ring in there? Thanks...Any advice appreciated...I have a lift thank God.

Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2021-05-25 10:57 PM (#612243 - in reply to #612241)
Subject: RE: Gas Tank Question: 58 DeSoto Firesweep

Expert

Does the sending unit pickup tube have the correct fuel filter on the end of it ? Are you using a vented gas cap ? Are you sure that's the problem ? Do you see sediment in the filter itself ?

Ron

furvedere
Posted 2021-05-26 11:43 AM (#612247 - in reply to #612243)

Veteran

ronbo97 - 2021-05-25 10:57 PM

Does the sending unit pickup tube have the correct fuel filter on the end of it ? Are you using a vented gas cap ? Are you sure that's the problem ? Do you see sediment in the filter itself ?

Ron

I have not removed sending unit yet so I don’t know what’s on the end.

Gas cap has printed on face: vented anti-surge

I use clear fuel filters and change them often...always has black sediment loaded in there. This latest gas dump is no exception. Lots of black sediment which I’m assuming is rust. Wish I had a scope camera but Im thinking there’s enough evidence to say the tank has rust scale inside.

Edited by furvedere 2021-05-26 11:45 AM
ronbo97
Posted 2021-05-26 3:23 PM (#612256 - in reply to #612247)

Expert

Yes. It sounds like there's rust in the tank. You need to remove the tank and clean it out. Then inspect it. Replace the filter on the pickup tube with a new one. I would also blow out the lines with compressed air to remove any residual scale from the tank.

Ron

Edited by ronbo97 2021-05-26 3:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)