The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

kks radiator in a 1959 DeSoto
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

flick
Posted 2021-05-26 1:56 PM (#612254)
Subject: kks radiator in a 1959 DeSoto

I am considering installing a kks radiator in my 1959 Desoto. It would be the kks6265 radiator (the one for a 1962-65 Dodge). My only concern is about the location of the trans-cooler lines and if it would interfere with the oil filter.

If anybody has installed one of these radiators in any vehicle, could you please tell my the location of the outlets from the edge of the radiator. I am concerned about the distance on the driver's side of the radiator.

Thank you for any reply.

Edited by flick 2021-05-26 1:57 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
22mafeja
Posted 2021-05-27 3:04 AM (#612269 - in reply to #612254)
Subject: RE: kks radiator in a 1959 DeSoto

Elite Veteran

I put a KKS6873 on my Firedome 58 and that was suitable.
udoittwo
Posted 2021-10-07 1:00 PM (#615651 - in reply to #612254)

Expert

I'm thinking about going with a replacement radiator myself. For me anyway, it would be more convenient to have the auto tranny fittings in similar locations but not all that important as I am running an aux. tranny cooler so I'd have to plum it in regardless.
I'm not running a shroud now and it always runs cool. I know aluminum is more efficient so would I need to run a shroud now. They all seem to use electric fans. Could I just mount an aluminum radiator using the factory water pump fan and no shroud?
What would I need to order one? Downflow, automatic, intake and outlet locations, and dimensions? Can they be painted or do you have this bright metal thing glowing behind your grill? Is there such a thing as too efficient a radiator? I mean, can it be too great a volume?
Roughly what do they cost and do they last any longer than a factory one?
Sorry, I'm just starting to look into this and not sure where to begin.
22mafeja
Posted 2021-10-15 12:52 AM (#615900 - in reply to #612254)

Elite Veteran

If you haven`t had overheating issues with the old one you won`t have it with the new one. You can use the oem fan and pump with an aluminium radiator.
Why would you need a shroud with a better radiator?
You can certainly paint aluminium. Wipe it with acetone a moment before you paint it. A good epoxy primer and wet on wet semi gloss acrylic 2k. Or just a semi gloss epoxy primer
for example Mipa ep 140/30 which gives a good look as is.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)