The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Intermittent Power Steering
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

Fireflite56
Posted 2021-06-30 11:20 PM (#613213)
Subject: Intermittent Power Steering

Extreme Veteran

I just had both my gearbox and (Vickers - early style like the '58's had) pump rebuilt for my '59 Fireflite and after bleeding it and now putting some miles on it, I have intermittent power assist loss, especially when trying to turn left and sitting still. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible with everything I have done/seen/felt so far. Any assistance on what the actual problem is would be appreciated so I can get it sorted out.

-System was bled prior to driving the car

-Fluid level is good and remains so

-Fluid type is correct per the specification

-No foaming or air bubbles present in fluid after driving anymore (since initial bleeding)

-When moving, steering seems *slightly* easier to the left than to the right

-Steering wheel sits slightly counterclockwise (left) of center when driving, but I chalk that up to needing an alignment after removing the box and pitman arm.

-Pitman arm to center link joint (cotterpinned castle nut) is torqued to 50 ft-lbs, which is the manual's specification if I have the correct line identified. Could this be too tight and binding with the pitman arm?

-The car drives down the road straight. The wheel does not pull/turn left or right when moving or sitting stationary with the car running. When moving, the car drives beautifully.

-The no-power issue gets worse if I strain it by turning back and forth a couple times rather than just one turn in one direction, like whatever power assist it had is gone at that point. This would be especially noticeable when turning around or maneauvering into a parking space.

-There is a slight hiss (similar sound to a leaking brake booster) when the wheel gets about a half turn or more to the left

-Except the hiss, I have no noises like squealing, moaning, or grinding.

-The belt tension on the pump pulley should be okay. I was going to snug it up more, but it's comparable to the drive belt and was as tight as I could make it on my own without a helper.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viper Guy
Posted 2021-07-01 1:39 PM (#613239 - in reply to #613213)
Subject: Re: Intermittent Power Steering

Expert

Sounds like a "sticky" valve in the gearbox. The valve is what controls the flow for the power assist and works in unison with the gear itself.
Shep
Posted 2021-07-02 5:05 PM (#613262 - in reply to #613239)

Expert

Also make sure the gear box is in the center position,when the wheels are straight ahead. Split the turns lock to lock in half, then mark that center point on the column and index it to the steering wheel, in that position the car should drive straight..
Fireflite56
Posted 2021-07-03 12:31 AM (#613265 - in reply to #613239)

Extreme Veteran

The sticky valve would be a logical explanation for what I am feeling. I am also questioning whether I have a belt slip issue. My belt felt loose today - looser than when I installed it and it's the same belt that was on there before. So either that's a cause of my issue, or it's an effect of a sticky valve possibly.

Fireflite56
Posted 2021-07-03 12:32 AM (#613266 - in reply to #613262)

Extreme Veteran

I did mark and index everything when I reinstalled it, so all the alignment that way should be fine and the car goes down the road straight. I just have an intermittent no-power issue when trying to turn, especially with low rpm's and not moving when steering is typically the hardest.

Chrome58
Posted 2021-07-03 10:51 AM (#613270 - in reply to #613213)

Expert

I have almost the same problem as you. As an additional symptom, I have power steering fluid spurting out of the pump from time to time (usually when there's a loss of power steering). Concerning the belt tension, I found something interesting in the '58 Plymouth Service Manual :

The belt tension may be checked by applying torque
wrench to the bolt which holds the pulley in place. Turning
in the direction which will tighten the bolt, the torque
should be 20 foot-pounds

There's also a lot of troubleshooting advices that includes "hissing noises".

Edited by Chrome58 2021-07-03 10:53 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)