The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 New Yorker - Aust
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

DejaVu
Posted 2021-07-15 8:01 AM (#613525)
Subject: 57 New Yorker - Aust

I'm not one that usually shares what I'm up to but I am for 2 reasons, one is to tip my hat to the late James ( The Adventurer) and the other is to pay tribute to everyone on the forum who has helped me with advice , as well as the forum archive - it has been of great assistance during restoration, thanks.

So, to the car. I bought this from James about 6 years ago, it was sort of maroon-ish with a white roof and stripe. It was a runner but all the previous work was tired and the paint was shot. The original paint code was TXT and I hadn't seen any in these colours so I decided to go with it but with differences. The white isn't cloud white, it's hand mixed and the gold is more of a rose gold with pearl in it, not the original gold which I found to be undesirable.

As usual there was a significant amount of rust removed and the trunk lid turned into a restoration saga I'd rather forget about but the bodywork is all done and it was extremely satisfying to have it loaded on the truck to come home.
There is still plenty to do, interior is under way (code 29) and I have numerous small jobs to tidy up but hey, it's winter here - I'm not driving anywhere yet!

(DSC_0637_sized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0637_sized.jpg (155KB - 149 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57burb
Posted 2021-07-15 10:40 AM (#613526 - in reply to #613525)
Subject: RE: 57 New Yorker - Aust

Expert

Beautiful car! I like your idea of using the factory color scheme with slightly tweaked colors, that really sets it off.

Sorry to hear your saga of a bad trunk lid. I have a perfect one in my shop that I could have sold you had I known.

Enjoy the rest of the resto saga. There will be many more gotchas along the way, but the car will be amazing once done.

GM wheels?
Powerflite
Posted 2021-07-15 11:05 AM (#613528 - in reply to #613525)
Subject: Re: 57 New Yorker - Aust

Expert 5K+

I remember that car when it came up for sale. Nice find! I didn't realize it was originally white & gold (dirty yellow). I agree that a more true gold is much better looking than the original. You've done a nice job on it. Practically none of these cars are a slam dunk to get them painted so I salute you for getting it done! That's going to be a lot of fun to cruise around in!
DejaVu
Posted 2021-07-16 7:58 AM (#613548 - in reply to #613525)

Actually you two gents have provided much of the inspiration and personal advice on this project so thanks for sharing your projects! I didn't do the body or paint work, I'm battling to paint a bedroom - I just provided slave labour where it was needed on the tedious, dirty jobs. I paid a local legend to work his magic and I think it caused him many sleepless nights but I guess you've all been there.

The wheels are actually Chrysler Australia 14" 'styled' wheels I think they were called. They were available as an option on sedans and coupes in the 70's but were standard on the Charger. The guy who painted the car fitted up a torq thrust from his hotrod to show me how it would look. With all the white, I didn't think it looked too bad - it helps make the body stand out a bit better to my eyes.

Here is an old 'original' pic and one with the torq thrust fitted.

(101.jpg)

(DSC_0624_whitegold.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 101.jpg (65KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0624_whitegold.jpg (194KB - 147 downloads)
60 Imp
Posted 2021-07-16 9:11 AM (#613550 - in reply to #613525)

DejaVu,
Full credit to you for restoring one of these cars in Australia. Not many people would take that on.
For me, since I got into these cars a while ago, I have thought of the 57 Yorker to be one of the 'Pinnacle' Forward look designs. I have wondered a few times where James's car ended up, so rare in this country.
The car looks wicked, and I hope to see it in person one day!
I had some contact with James, his passion for these cars was unmistakable and you have done his memory proud with the car restoration. Well done Mate.

Please keep the pics of the rest of this restoration coming. Watching one of these things come back to life in Australia is pretty special.

Steve.

Edited by 60 Imp 2021-07-16 9:16 AM
DejaVu
Posted 2021-07-17 5:34 AM (#613562 - in reply to #613525)

Thanks Steve, there have been plenty of times that we wished there was a wrecking yard full of them down the road to go look for better parts! I wished James could have seen it, he was always asking when it was going to be restored. The last conversation I had with him involved talking about the car just undergoing a 'renovation', not a restoration. He laughed about my optimism....he sure was right. This turned into a body off, chassis blasted, new interior and engine rebuild 'renovation'.....
57plybel
Posted 2021-07-18 7:48 PM (#613588 - in reply to #613525)

Extreme Veteran

Great to see that car again and in this condition!  James always liked the big back window cars and he did eventually find another 57 New Yorker to replace it with, a great condition survivor.

Before you bought your burgundy /maroon one, it was nearly purchased locally as the basis for a Cliff Inman chopped Kustom.

Congratulations on your progress and as Steve said, please keep the updates coming!

Colin

ToMopar
Posted 2021-12-03 8:53 AM (#617359 - in reply to #613525)

Elite Veteran

I've seen that thread today. Good that this particular car still live in AU. Seen the ebay auction when James (RIP) put the NYer to ebay

Please post more pictures.....
DejaVu
Posted 2021-12-05 4:46 AM (#617399 - in reply to #617359)

Hi, yes it's been 6 years since James (RIP) bought the car over from Missouri.
Through the winter I've been working on wiring and interior jobs, The local upholsterer is working his way through the seats and door trims, I have gone back to the original trim code (26) and consequently everything needs re-work. It's getting there. The front power seat is almost done, if you have some seat side trims lying around, please let me know - they seem to be unobtanium.
The engine department is progressing steadily. One of things I really don't like is a cluttered engine bay, so I got rid of some items so I can see the devil's heart beating! The motor is fully rebuilt (it was thoroughly sludged up but ran ok) and I fired it for the first time a week ago and wow, does it have some real punch now. I think it was just farting it's way around, the way it was before, poor thing. I will put a graphic on the air cleaner down the track when I come up with something suitable. I am running standard brakes at this stage, I'll see how they go.

(Messaging1638563722282_seat.jpg)

(DSC_0757_Int.jpg)

(DSC_0758_Bay.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Messaging1638563722282_seat.jpg (106KB - 100 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0757_Int.jpg (186KB - 103 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0758_Bay.jpg (177KB - 103 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)