The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1960 Vacuum Power Door Lock Operation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

NicksGarage
Posted 2021-08-02 4:34 PM (#613969)
Subject: 1960 Vacuum Power Door Lock Operation

Expert

My 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country 3-seat wagon has power door locks and I've been doing some research on them. I don't have the car running yet and I know there are some issues already since the vacuum tubes are cut on the right front door.

While doing my research I've looked for info on how they are supposed to operate, especially on a wagon with power windows. According to a Dodge advertisement, when you lock the doors, it also locks out the power window switch above the third seat which is used to open the tailgate window from back there. Supposedly on the left rear door actuator, there is an electric switch which cuts power to the overhead window switch. I do see this circuit in the Chrysler wiring diagram for the power tailgate system. Looking at the parts book, they list different actuators for Dodge 3-seat wagons.

Another place it says that you can unlock the rear doors from the outside using the key. I assume this is from the front doors. Is that the case?

Also mentioned is that they are automatic. If you last pushed the switch to "Lock", when you drive, the doors will lock if they aren't. Is that how it works?

I have read the other threads here about the power locks but not all of these questions are answered.

Anyone have a 1960-61 wagon with power door locks, power windows and the third seat with the roof window switch?

Another interesting tid-bit is in the parts book, it shows parts for a de-activation system tied to Plymouth seats. The Plymouth accessory book and prestige brochure says it keeps the front door unlocked if you get out with the engine running so you can't get locked out. But not on Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge?

Here are other threads I found related to the power door locks.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=45232&...

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40802&...

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=45244&...

Edited by NicksGarage 2021-08-02 6:05 PM

(dodge_wagon_power_locks.jpg)

(ross_roy.png)

(owners_manual.jpg)

(wiring_diagram.png)

(sm_operation.png)

(plymouth_accy_1.jpg)

(plymouth_accy_2.jpg)

(plymouth_prestige_brochure.jpg)

(dart_owners_manual.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dodge_wagon_power_locks.jpg (235KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments ross_roy.png (55KB - 78 downloads)
Attachments owners_manual.jpg (184KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments wiring_diagram.png (223KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments sm_operation.png (40KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments plymouth_accy_1.jpg (48KB - 90 downloads)
Attachments plymouth_accy_2.jpg (94KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments plymouth_prestige_brochure.jpg (97KB - 87 downloads)
Attachments dart_owners_manual.jpg (126KB - 82 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NicksGarage
Posted 2021-08-02 5:12 PM (#613970 - in reply to #613969)
Subject: Re: 1960 Vacuum Power Door Lock Operation

Expert

Here are the pages from the parts book.

See items 28, 30 and 32 for the Plymouth de-activator parts.

(partsbook_1.png)

(partsbook_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments partsbook_1.png (78KB - 85 downloads)
Attachments partsbook_2.jpg (248KB - 82 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2021-08-02 8:49 PM (#613978 - in reply to #613969)

Expert 5K+

I can't tell you for sure as I have never tried the auto door locks in my '60 New Yorker, but I imagine that the circuit that locks the doors will still be activated once you turn off the motor. The rear passengers can't get out until you unlock it by flipping the switch, using the residual vacuum in the tank, or by using the key from the outside. If you use the key from the outside, once you start the car again, all the door locks should be activated again because the switch is still in that lock position. I wonder if you unlock the front door by opening it from the inside, if when you close the door, it will automatically lock again using the vacuum in the tank! That could be important to know if you leave the keys in there.
NicksGarage
Posted 2021-08-02 9:36 PM (#613979 - in reply to #613978)

Expert

Powerflite - 2021-08-02 5:49 PM

I can't tell you for sure as I have never tried the auto door locks in my '60 New Yorker, but I imagine that the circuit that locks the doors will still be activated once you turn off the motor. The rear passengers can't get out until you unlock it by flipping the switch, using the residual vacuum in the tank, or by using the key from the outside. If you use the key from the outside, once you start the car again, all the door locks should be activated again because the switch is still in that lock position. I wonder if you unlock the front door by opening it from the inside, if when you close the door, it will automatically lock again using the vacuum in the tank! That could be important to know if you leave the keys in there.

On my wagon, the toggle switch for the locks springs back to the middle if you move it to lock or unlock. I don't know if something holds the last position or not. Seems like it would be really risky as you could easily lock the keys in the car that way. Some of the documentation implies that the automatic locking only works when you start the engine but what that means, I don't know. The Plymouth information talks about the seat sensors so you can't lock yourself out but not mentioned in Chrysler or Dodge information. I have a power seat but haven't had it out so can't say if there is such a sensor in my seat. I don't have the Plymouth wiring diagram to see if it shows that.
wizard
Posted 2021-08-03 1:13 AM (#613982 - in reply to #613969)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

I have this option in working condition. I'ts very simple.

The toggle switch locks all Doors when there is sufficiant vacuum in the accumulator tänk or if the engine is started.
The toggle switch unlocks all Doors with the conditions above.

The door key does only Open the door, hence the system is not automatic.

It's not easy to lock yourself out of the Car.

Since all Doors are locked with the toggle switch, You must override by opening the drivers door for to get out. Then the drivers door must be locked with the key.

Chrysler cars, 4 and 2 Doors have no seat vacuum switches. I don't know about the wagons, but I suspect that only Plymouth had them.

The Doors does not lock when You start the engine.
NicksGarage
Posted 2021-08-03 1:49 AM (#613983 - in reply to #613982)

Expert

wizard - 2021-08-02 10:13 PM

I have this option in working condition. I'ts very simple.

I assume you can't override the rear door locks by pulling the handle, you'd have to turn the lock lever at the top of the door.

I need to pull my left rear door panel to see what's in there and see if there is an electrical switch for the tailgate window switch lockout.
wizard
Posted 2021-08-03 3:06 AM (#613984 - in reply to #613969)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

For to open the rear doors, the lock-lever must be in the open position.
The child safe is another option that actually is not compatible with the Safe-T-Matic. Theres a button to press in, which blocks the rear door lock-lever. Then you need to insert a screwdriver (or a key) for to open them.
This was not the very best of safety options - if the car is in a chrash or on fire it's totally difficukt to open the rear doors fast.

I have the child safe option (of course) but I never use them.

The Vacuum toggle switch is the same for all cars that had the Safe-T-Matic option, 3-way spring-loaded switch, resting in 0-position. However, there's a tube fitting on the vacuum distributor which is plugged. Perhaps this was for the seat sensors.

Anyway, the Safe-T-Matic option is a very nice option, considering how early MoPar had it. There's a lot of contradicions in the descriptions of the option.
It's good that you have it on a wagon, then you can soon confirm how the rear window/door was included in the function.

(IMG_3166-rez.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3166-rez.jpg (216KB - 79 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)