The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

first of many dumb questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Landyacht67
Posted 2021-08-06 12:24 AM (#614052)
Subject: first of many dumb questions

I've owned plenty of older chryslers (mostly 60s) but never one as old as our newest aquisition.
It's a 1958 Chrysler Windsor (essentially the same as a Saratoga from what I understand).

The car's a blast to drive, although there are some bugs to work out. The first of these is the fan belt. Originally the car had a twin pulley power steering pump. It seized solid the second trip out with the car. Both belts snapped which sidelined us right away. We have been able to rig up a 1967 power steering pump until we can get the original rebuilt. the temp one is a single pulley. It sits true in line with the crank and water pump pulley. We've got it tight, but oh my god the squeeeeeeeeeeeel when you fire her up!

The current belt is a 47" bottom cog that is 1/2" wide. Nobody seems to be able to find either a no cog, or top cog. Is it the belt width? The bottom cog? I'm at a bit of a loss. The pulleys are clean, the belt is new and not glazed. Dressing helps for a very short time. the pump spins nicely by hand with the belt off. Someone mentioned the v-groove pitch, but it seems like all the belts available are 1/2" bottom cog in (according to the parts guy) a GM v-profile.

Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2021-08-06 2:49 AM (#614053 - in reply to #614052)
Subject: Re: first of many dumb questions

Expert 5K+

It sounds like your belt is too wide. The spec for the factory belt is 3/8" wide, not 1/2". The correct original belt is Gates part no. 7450. The only other possibility I can see is if your new mount for the pump isn't secure enough so that the pump is moving around when the motor first starts.
57chizler
Posted 2021-08-06 1:13 PM (#614063 - in reply to #614052)
Subject: RE: first of many dumb questions

Expert

Does the V-belt sit in the groove on the pump pulley or does it extend above the pulley groove? Does the belt match the engine pulley groove? Can you supply pics?

BTW, welcome to the board.
Landyacht67
Posted 2021-08-12 2:22 AM (#614172 - in reply to #614052)
Subject: Re: first of many dumb questions

Thanks for the suggestions. Pulled the belt and it turns out the bottom (cogs) were riding on the water pump pulley and the v groove wasn't even engaging. Found a smooth bottom belt with thinner height profile and the squeel is gone! Finally!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)