The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using a "Jack Nut" (Hanson Rivet) to replace captured nut for bottom fender attachment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2021-08-20 9:28 PM (#614344)
Subject: Using a "Jack Nut" (Hanson Rivet) to replace captured nut for bottom fender attachment

Expert 5K+

In a different thread, I explained how while I was trying to fix the attachment point at the bottom of my 56 Dodge's right front fender, I had snapped off the bolt and then while trying to fix that situation, I managed to dislodge the OE captured nut (which had been welded to the bottom of the fire wall bulkhead). That meant that I had to figure out how to attach the bottom of the fender to the firewall again.

This is the hole that I had to fill:

Several suggestions were offered (thank for those guys). I opted to try a "Jack Nut" which I recently found out is also called a "Hanson Rivet".

REFERENCE: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76246

My neighbour gave me a 1/4 x 20 Jack Nut and an installation tool (a long nut). I bought a 1/4-20 x 2.5" bolt to install the jack nut. I slipped a washer under the tab of the fender before I installed the the Jack Nut (to make sure that the Jack Nut didn't pull through that square hole) and proceeded to install the Jack Nut. Very simple. Felt for the "wings" of the Jack Nut through my "Access Hole" (which I created with a drill) but I could not feel them.

I installed a 1/4 x 20 stainless steel bolt and fender washer to hold the bottom of fender to the body and quit for the day (yesterday).

Today I took some photos of the installation. I still cannot see the "wings" of the Jack Nut but it seems to be holding regardless. I sprayed the cavity yesterday with Rust Converter. Today I spritzed up some Zero Rust paint. Tomorrow I am going to patch the access hole with sheet steel and then spray the entire rocker interior with cavity wax. Then I will do some painting of the patch and the exterior of the bottom of the rocker.

Not pretty but at least the rust will be slowed and the fender will be attached better.

Photos from today:

(1quarterBy20JackNut.jpg)

(1quarterBy20JackNut_2.jpg)

(56DodgeRightFrontFenderLowerAttachmentPointWithJackNutThroughFormerSquareNutHole_2_Annotated.jpg)

(56DodgeRightFrontFenderLowerAttachmentPointWithJackNutThroughFormerSquareNutHole_Annotated.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1quarterBy20JackNut.jpg (22KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments 1quarterBy20JackNut_2.jpg (19KB - 87 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeRightFrontFenderLowerAttachmentPointWithJackNutThroughFormerSquareNutHole_2_Annotated.jpg (128KB - 89 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeRightFrontFenderLowerAttachmentPointWithJackNutThroughFormerSquareNutHole_Annotated.jpg (234KB - 84 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
58coupe
Posted 2021-08-21 12:40 PM (#614350 - in reply to #614344)
Subject: Re: Using a "Jack Nut" (Hanson Rivet) to replace captured nut for bottom fender attachment

Expert

I strongly recommend you put lots of anti-seize on that bolt if you think it will ever need to be removed. Rivnuts don't work well in areas prone to corrosion as the bolt will seize and the rivnut will spin.
This is from many years of experience.
56D500boy
Posted 2021-08-21 1:11 PM (#614354 - in reply to #614350)
Subject: Re: Using a "Jack Nut" (Hanson Rivet) to replace captured nut for bottom fender attachment

Expert 5K+

58coupe - 2021-08-21 9:40 AM
I strongly recommend you put lots of anti-seize on that bolt if you think it will ever need to be removed. Rivnuts don't work well in areas prone to corrosion as the bolt will seize and the rivnut will spin.
This is from many years of experience.

Like this OE one (that seized and snapped when I tried to remove it)? (Thanks for the suggestion)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)