The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brake judder cured - finally. Wrong wheels!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

Chris
Posted 2021-09-09 4:52 PM (#614881)
Subject: Brake judder cured - finally. Wrong wheels!

I've had my '59 New Yorker since 2002 and been trying to stop the brakes juddering - or just living with it - for most of that time. I had the drums machined and set up everything very carefully again and again. I was thinking I would have convert to discs. Then I realised my wheels, which were 14 inch Magnum style wheels off a later car, were interfering with the drums. Not by much though. Whoever fitted the wheels had used spacers and they seemed to fit - but I noticed signs of fretting. So I bought a set of wheels from @furymitch. It took a while to get around to fitting them and another while to have an opportunity for a decent drive. But now i have. Result - no juddering!

Some time back I bought some new drums from Kanter. I picked them up personally and Fred asked me if I had stock wheels. I said yes - forgetting they were Magnums. I assumed he was asking if I had alloys. He said the new drums were thicker than the original Chrysler castings and would only fit standard wheels. When I offered the new drums up to the Magnum wheels it was clear they had no chance of going together. That's what made me realise the Magnum wheels are smaller than Chrysler wheels.

So now I have a set of Magnum wheels to get rid of - but they are of no use to anyone here! And a spare set of brand new drums. But they car stops nicely and I don't need to convert to discs.

The "new" wheels have bias ply tyres. The old wheels have radials. That makes quite a difference. And not in a good way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)