The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Removing and Installing Front Window Glass in a 1955-56 Mopar Sedan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2021-09-19 8:55 PM (#615197)
Subject: Removing and Installing Front Window Glass in a 1955-56 Mopar Sedan

Expert 5K+

I have done this on all 4 doors of my 56 Dodge Custom Royal 4 dr sedan but I don't think that I ever documented exactly what I did. Recently (yesterday), I needed to remove the glass in my driver's door so I could access the back of both chrome trim pieces in preparation for repainting the upper dark blue portion of the door after I dripped white paint (from the Duplicolor spray can) when I did some minor roof repairs over the winter - lesson always have a solvent soaked rag handy when painting (I didn't and now I am paying the price).

I could have just masked off the stainless trim (belt moulding and mid-door trim) but since I scored a NOS belt moulding I decided to remove both of them. On a 56 Custom Royal this requires removal of the glass if, as I did previously, the trim was attached to the door with a 10-24 stud and nut (OE spring clips were bad when I first did this door 4 years ago).

In describing the process, I am going to refer to previous posts that I did as well as posts by 71charger_fan (Terrance) about his 1955 Plymouth Plaza 2 dr wagon.

Steps (in the order that I did them):

1. Remove the inner door frame - 6 or 7 screws and a bit of wiggling - set aside in a protected area.

2. Remove the door handles - there are square spring clips that are best removed using the factory K-D 435 door handle tool. Put the handles, the escutcheon discs and the springs in a safe place.

3. Remove the door panel. I had previously made a new door panel from 1/8" Masonite and I equipped it with new wire spring clips. I used a 2" putty knife to get behind the door panel and then pry the wire spring clips off. Place the panel in a safe place

4. Remove the vapour barrier. OE barriers were treated paper. I have been using 6 mil poly attached to the door with Tuck brand vapour barrier tape. Regardless, it needs to come off to access at least one machine screw.

5. Remove the vent window and frame. There are three small Phillips screws and one large Phillip screw. Two of the small ones can be seen when the inner window frame is removed. The other small one is on the outer leading edge of the door (front door) (trailing edge on a rear door). The large Phillips screw is a machine screw and it goes into the lower end of vertical bar portion of the vent window frame.

Here is a factory parts book diagram of what we are dealing with to this point:

In order to remove the window glass you need to get it high enough to release it from the pin at the end of the window regulator arm. In order to do that, you need some clearance. This is why the vent window frame needs to come out.

Once the 4 screws are out of the vent window frame manipulate it out of the door by pushing the top of the vent window (and frame) towards the inside of the door. When you have it tilted in far enough, you can slide it up and out. Be aware that the attachment point of the vertical bar might want to snag on bits you can't see. Just twist and wiggle the frame until you can pull it out.

6. Remove the window. In my case, there has always been a 5a: Remove the flexible channel (because I was going to replace it with new stuff anyway). 71charger_fan says that he didn't have to do that.

Here are some of 71charger_fans related photos:

His driver's door with the inner panels and vapour barrier removed:

Manipulating the vent window frame out of the door:

With the vent window, frame and fixed channel out of the door, you can crank the window down a bit and slide it towards where the vent window was located. Get the window clear of the flexible channel (if it is still there) and then crank the window higher while at the same time grabbing the top of the window and pulling it into the car. When you have it high enough, the connection between window regulator and the lower window frame will be exposed, like this (in this case a two-door door window has two pins and two slots in the bottom window frame) (My 4 door door windows only have one pin and one slot per window, as per the factory diagram above).

At some point, I asked Terrance "Any issues with releasing the window from the twin regulator arms? (I forgot that the 2 dr sedans have those (at least 55-56))"

He replied:

71charger_fan - 2019-09-22 5:19 PM
No, slide it one way to release one, then the other way to release the other.

With a 4 dr door, you just need to slide the window over the slot until you can get the single pin through the larger frame hole.

Once you can get the pin on the regulator out of the slot in the lower window frame, lift the window up and out. Place gently in a safe place. When I had mine out, I cleaned and painted the slotted lower window frame with silver rust paint.

"Installation is the reverse of removal".

But add some white lithium grease on the slotted slider and the regulator gear mechanism.

The last step, i.e. getting the inner window frame back on correctly, requires some patience because the frame meshes with the door in a relatively instricate way. If it doesn't look right, it isn't try again. And again, as needs be.