The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rehabbing a 56 Dodge/Plymouth external door handle
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2021-10-07 2:07 PM (#615653)
Subject: Rehabbing a 56 Dodge/Plymouth external door handle

Expert 5K+

As usual, I can't help myself from trying to improve my 65 year old 1956 Dodge Custom Royal. This includes non-critical items that are working just fine but are getting a bit tired. Case in point, both front door handles (mine is a 4dr sedan). Since they got the most use, they get a bit worn at the handle pivot point which makes them a bit rattly (sp?). Therefore when I go searching for NOS things on eBay, sometimes I run into things that are not NOS but are (hopefully) better than mine. Recent example was a right side door handle (previously I bought a better left side door handle that will be installed very soon).

The door handle arrived quite quickly considering it came from Arizon, was shipped to Erlanger KY and processed for export to Canada and then shipped to Toronto where it cleared customs before flying out to Vancouver BC. Anyway, it arrived and was a described in the eBay photos. The key point was the handle pivot point is still very tight (well better than mine). So it will be installed the next time I go into the passenger door (to adjust the middle trim - which was poorly aligned at the factory).

My "rehab" is pretty much cosmetic, not mechanical (since the pivot point is good).

1. It started with a 36 hour dip in Evapo-Rust (albeit a used batch - hence the time).

2. Wiring brushing to remove the loosened rust

3. Painting the back side mechanism with Rustoleum Antique Nickel metal paint

The stainless portion of the handle will be sanded with 2000 grit as necessary and then polished with AutoSol and/or Wenol.

I am still thinking of making a gasket to fit between the handle and the door (just to protect the paint - not to keep water out)

Before I install the "new" right side handle (and the previously rehab "new" left side handle), I will lubricate the moving parts with white lithium grease.

Some photos:

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-10-07 2:27 PM

(56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAsPurchased_1.jpg)

(56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAsPurchased_2.jpg)

(56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_1.jpg)

(56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_2.jpg)

(56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_AndPainting_1.jpg)

(56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_AndPainting_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAsPurchased_1.jpg (56KB - 80 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAsPurchased_2.jpg (93KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_1.jpg (155KB - 78 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_2.jpg (92KB - 83 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_AndPainting_1.jpg (102KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePlymouthRightSideDoorHandleAfterEvapoRustBathAndWireBrushing_AndPainting_2.jpg (107KB - 76 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)