The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1961 318 2-bbl Stromberg WW Carburetor Accelerator Pump
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

NicksGarage
Posted 2021-10-09 10:48 PM (#615733)
Subject: 1961 318 2-bbl Stromberg WW Carburetor Accelerator Pump

Expert

I'm working on my friend's 1961 Belvedere and I put a kit in the carburetor but something isn't right with the accelerator pump. I put it back together the way it came apart but it seems like there is something missing. On the car, the linkage doesn't actually actuate the pump. The carb works fine otherwise.

If someone has a spare on of these carburetors, could you pop the top off and show me the parts for the accelerator pump?

(carb1.jpg)

(carb_kit2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments carb1.jpg (145KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments carb_kit2.jpg (143KB - 92 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2021-10-11 10:07 AM (#615755 - in reply to #615733)
Subject: Re: 1961 318 2-bbl Stromberg WW Carburetor Accelerator Pump

Expert

Just did one on a 326 Dodge. The order of the spring, the clips and retainer on the pump rod set up in such a way that the spring is preloading the pump to actuate down when accelerating, sorry I can't be more specific, the overhaul kit instructions may show the order of assy.
NicksGarage
Posted 2021-10-11 11:35 AM (#615757 - in reply to #615755)

Expert

Shep - 2021-10-11 7:07 AM

Just did one on a 326 Dodge. The order of the spring, the clips and retainer on the pump rod set up in such a way that the spring is preloading the pump to actuate down when accelerating, sorry I can't be more specific, the overhaul kit instructions may show the order of assy.

Unfortunately the kit instructions didn't show this type of pump. There was a loose circlip on the pump shaft when I took it apart. But nothing apparent that it retained. The only thing I can think is that it goes under the cap washer to lift it up. Maybe my spring is too weak to push the pump down now that it's new. Before the rebuild, it would go up and down but there was no friction from the pump due to sitting for 40 years.

ronbo97
Posted 2021-10-11 1:41 PM (#615760 - in reply to #615757)

Expert

The shop manual or parts book will show you all the parts used on this carb. It's not a 'best practice' to assume that what was in there forty years ago is correct. Kit instructions are worthless, except to indicate float level and float drop. If you're using a kit that's decades old, the carb will leak in no time. Also, the rubber parts, including the rubber on the accelerator pump, will disintegrate from the modern fuels that we use. So best to use a modern kit from Then and Now.

Ron

NicksGarage
Posted 2021-10-11 1:47 PM (#615761 - in reply to #615760)

Expert

ronbo97 - 2021-10-11 10:41 AM

The shop manual or parts book will show you all the parts used on this carb. It's not a 'best practice' to assume that what was in there forty years ago is correct. Kit instructions are worthless, except to indicate float level and float drop. If you're using a kit that's decades old, the carb will leak in no time. Also, the rubber parts, including the rubber on the accelerator pump, will disintegrate from the modern fuels that we use. So best to use a modern kit from Then and Now.

Ron

I used a modern kit to work with methanol fuels. The shop manual and parts book haven't been any help. Haven't found an exploded view showing this type of accelerator pump set up. Most carbs I've dealt with actuate the accelerator pump in a more direct way. This one just seems to hold it up and then the spring is supposed to actuate the pump when needed.
local2Ed
Posted 2021-10-11 10:32 PM (#615775 - in reply to #615761)

Extreme Veteran

NicksGarage - 2021-10-11 1:47 PM

ronbo97 - 2021-10-11 10:41 AM

Ron

I used a modern kit to work with methanol fuels. The shop manual and parts book haven't been any help. Haven't found an exploded view showing this type of accelerator pump set up. Most carbs I've dealt with actuate the accelerator pump in a more direct way. This one just seems to hold it up and then the spring is supposed to actuate the pump when needed.

I had the same problem with a Stromberg WW carb kit. I never could figure it out so I re-used the old pump by softening the leather in oil and rolling or pulling out the edges of the leather to make it work.

The place I bought the kit from said they had no other complaints but sent me a replacement accelerator pump but it did the exact same thing. Then they said to polish the bore the pump rides in with crocus cloth, still the same thing.

The only difference I could see was the circular spring that is under the leather, around the shaft, looked by eye to have a larger OD then the one on the working but old pump.

For some reason I never thought of switching the springs to see if that was the problem before I sold the car so I don't know if it would have worked.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)