The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

got the engine fired up ! First time since 1985 its run !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

resq302
Posted 2021-12-24 6:17 AM (#617867)
Subject: got the engine fired up ! First time since 1985 its run !

Veteran

So, as the subject says...... I got the engine fired up (after cranking it over for a while to prime it as the fuel pump, fuel filter stone, and carb were all bone dry from being rebuilt) and to my surprise, it ran! It ran surprising well and very smooth. The oil and filter were both new and refilled with Valvoline VR1 20w-50 oil. As expected, it smoked for a while and had some noise to it since I'm thinking things were sticky / stuck from not being run since 1985. I sent the video to a mechanic friend of mine and he asked if it had solid lifters or hydraulic ones to which I didn't have an answer. Its a 1957 Dodge 2 door suburban with the 325 poly V-8 and is bone stock. The thing still has only 36,000 original miles to it. It could be that the thing is still noisy due to the stuff not running for that long but before I did damage to the motor, I wanted to come on here and see what everyone thought.

Much appreciated.

Brian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
local2Ed
Posted 2021-12-24 9:23 AM (#617869 - in reply to #617867)
Subject: RE: got the engine fired up ! First time since 1985 its run !

Extreme Veteran

resq302 - 2021-12-24 6:17 AM

So, as the subject says...... I got the engine fired up (after cranking it over for a while to prime it as the fuel pump, fuel filter stone, and carb were all bone dry from being rebuilt) and to my surprise, it ran! It ran surprising well and very smooth. The oil and filter were both new and refilled with Valvoline VR1 20w-50 oil. As expected, it smoked for a while and had some noise to it since I'm thinking things were sticky / stuck from not being run since 1985. I sent the video to a mechanic friend of mine and he asked if it had solid lifters or hydraulic ones to which I didn't have an answer. Its a 1957 Dodge 2 door suburban with the 325 poly V-8 and is bone stock. The thing still has only 36,000 original miles to it. It could be that the thing is still noisy due to the stuff not running for that long but before I did damage to the motor, I wanted to come on here and see what everyone thought.

Much appreciated.

Brian

Hydraulic lifters.

10w-30 oil is fine.

Pull both valve covers and verify that oil is coming out the rocker arms before any damage is done.
57chizler
Posted 2021-12-24 1:25 PM (#617872 - in reply to #617867)
Subject: RE: got the engine fired up ! First time since 1985 its run !

Expert

It's not unusual for hydraulic lifters to clatter after sitting for an extended time. There are engine treatments in a bottle to loosen them up; Wynn's and Rislone are two I have used with success.
Stroller
Posted 2022-01-07 10:49 AM (#618209 - in reply to #617867)
Subject: Re: got the engine fired up ! First time since 1985 its run !

Extreme Veteran

Might put a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in and run it. Have not done this myself but have heard many who have and say their engines run better, stop leaking and clean out sludge and burnt carbon. Might be a good prove it or not test.
Manifest Predicament
Posted 2022-02-17 4:38 PM (#619500 - in reply to #617867)

Good story but consider that 20W-50 as a flush. Like the other bloke said 10W-30 will get things back in shape better and hold more deposits in suspension with proper flow. How were the points. plugs and wires? Find an Amsoil guy near you and their engine flush is detergent based (no solvents) which will hold even more deposits in suspension to get them out while swelling seals to prevent further leaks.
resq302
Posted 2022-02-17 9:32 PM (#619511 - in reply to #617867)

Veteran

I forgot to get new wires and the points I just cleaned up at that time. I installed a new cap and rotor as well as new plugs as the old ones were fouled and nasty looking. I rebuilt the carb and rebuilt the fuel pump as well as putting a ceramic stone filter in place since the old one was missing. Plan is to run it with the 20w-50 for a little bit and then drain it out and refill it. I might put some marvel mystery oil in there too and run it for a little bit before I change out the oil. The trans is currently out of the car and heading to the rebuilders on Sunday.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)