The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

56 dodge windshield gasket question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

rcairney
Posted 2022-03-04 1:51 PM (#619988)
Subject: 56 dodge windshield gasket question

Cannot get anyone in central Ohio to respond to requests to install the windshield and rear window in my 56 coronet so I am going to attempt myself. Service manual is pretty good with instructions, but makes no mention of sealants. Do I need to apply sealants?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GaryS
Posted 2022-03-04 3:39 PM (#619989 - in reply to #619988)
Subject: Re: 56 dodge windshield gasket question

Expert

The windshield is fairly easy to install by yourself with the Steele one-piece seal, but the rear window was absolute hell on my 2-door hardtop. I had to call an expert on classic glass installation, and he cursed a bunch. I'm not happy with the installation yet, but it will stay the way it is. The expert said the new seal appeared to be shaped incorrectly, though it looked like the old part.

No sealant was used on either glass.
ronbo97
Posted 2022-03-04 3:50 PM (#619991 - in reply to #619989)

Expert

GaryS - 2022-03-04 3:39 PM The windshield is fairly easy to install by yourself with the Steele one-piece seal, but the rear window was absolute hell on my 2-door hardtop. I had to call an expert on classic glass installation, and he cursed a bunch. I'm not happy with the installation yet, but it will stay the way it is. The expert said the new seal appeared to be shaped incorrectly, though it looked like the old part. No sealant was used on either glass.

The rear glass installation shouldn't be any more difficult than the front. You MUST install the glass correctly: Top edge, followed by sides, followed by bottom. That is the only way it will work. That should have been the procedure you followed for the windshield as well.

If you are working with a repro gasket from Steele, be sure it fits correctly in the channel before attempting to install the glass. My 55 Desoto windshield gasket was incorrectly made by Steele: It was 3" too short on the bottom. I sent them photos to prove it. They made me a custom gasket that added in three inches on the bottom. The windshield  was installed perfectly after that. I encouraged them to correct their blueprints to make this adjustment. I hope they did.

Ron

Edited by ronbo97 2022-03-04 3:53 PM
rcairney
Posted 2022-03-04 4:27 PM (#619995 - in reply to #619991)

Thanks for your help. I am encouraged!
rcairney
Posted 2022-03-04 4:31 PM (#619996 - in reply to #619989)

Thank you for the info. It goes without saying that the 55 and 56 models sustain cursing, but well worth it.
ronbo97
Posted 2022-03-04 4:58 PM (#619997 - in reply to #619996)

Expert

rcairney - 2022-03-04 4:31 PM Thank you for the info. It goes without saying that the 55 and 56 models sustain cursing, but well worth it.

My friend and I installed the windshield in the revised Steele gasket in about 20 minutes. No cursing involved. Be sure you have a helper. Don't attempt it by yourself.

One thing that helps is a nylon drift. A glass installer may have one you can borrow. Or you can probably find one online for less than $10. Never use any kind of metal object of any sort to install glass. Also, it may help to splash some soapy water on the inner channel where the glass will sit. Helps slide it in.

Ron

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)