The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 DeSoto Windshield
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Fireflite56
Posted 2022-03-24 5:56 PM (#620457)
Subject: 1956 DeSoto Windshield

Extreme Veteran

Who makes good reproduction (Solex) windshields for a '56 DeSoto? I have two used ones that are pretty good, but not quite good enough for a #1 condition car. I believe there is a place in Finland (that I have heard is very good, but expensive) and then there are a couple in the states, but I have no idea what the quality is like for the US companies nor do I know how to find out short of buying one or hoping someone has experience they can share. Obviously shape, tint, and thickness are all primary concerns. If anyone is sitting on an NOS windshield or a mint used one, I'd be very interested but I realize that's not likely.

On a related note, has anyone had glass etched with the proper marknigs? I am probably going to have to have door glass cut new and would like to add the PPG SOLEX DUOLITE stampings. I contacted ECS who does a very similar etching and they seemed very unsure of their ability to do mine even though they have all the logos and fonts to do it already - it would just be a new configuration of existing etchings. They basically want me to buy the glass, have it cut, and then ship it to them before they'll commit one way or the other which is not acceptable to me. Again, if anyone has really nice Solex 2-door door glass from a '56 DeSoto or Chrysler, I'd be interested.

Edited by Fireflite56 2022-03-24 5:58 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2022-03-24 8:51 PM (#620459 - in reply to #620457)
Subject: RE: 1956 DeSoto Windshield

Expert

David -

55 Desoto/Chrysler are the same as 56. So those are additional options.

Also, if you're planning to purchase the windshield and back glass gaskets from Steele Rubber, then it would be a good idea to verify that it fits inside the channel. When I bought my windshield rubber from them, the lower portion was cast incorrectly. it was 3" too short. Note: The windshield and probably the back glass gaskets are made in two separate steps. They remade the gasket correctly after speaking to their staff engineer. The windshield fit perfectly with the revised gasket. 

Ron

Viper Guy
Posted 2022-03-24 10:11 PM (#620462 - in reply to #620457)
Subject: Re: 1956 DeSoto Windshield

Expert

David,

Contact Binswanger and see if they have a connection for a new windshield. That’s who we used when Smitty was here in Branson.

Good luck!

Fred
Fireflite56
Posted 2022-03-28 9:47 PM (#620553 - in reply to #620457)

Extreme Veteran

Ron - Tim ordered the gaskets for my car from Steele since he is supposed to be putting the glass in. Hopefully he got the right length...

Fred - where is Binswanger located out of? I Googled "Binswanger Glass" and got at least a half dozen different places showing up.
Viper Guy
Posted 2022-03-29 10:53 AM (#620568 - in reply to #620553)

Expert

Hi David,

We just used the one located in Branson and they ordered them in for us. My suggestion would be to call the nearest one to you and see what they suggest. I hope you have as good of luck as we had with them.

Fred
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)