The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanted: correct headlights for 62
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> Wanted - All Wanted AdsMessage format

Ev's62Chrysler
Posted 2022-04-16 12:38 PM (#620908)
Subject: Wanted: correct headlights for 62

Veteran

My 62 has a mismatch of Tung Sol and GE low beam and high beam head lights, some early and late, some narrow flute some wide flute. I believe either brand can be correct, and I also believe what would be correct are the ones with TS or GE embossed in a circle at the bottom of the headlight, not in the center. Assuming so, I have one correct low beam TS and one high beam GE.

Looking for either:

(1) GE4001 and (2) GE4002, or

(2) TS4001 and (1) TS4002.

Either way they must be new and have wide flutes with manufacturer's initials embossed in the circle at the bottom. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PM price and photos if you have some for sale.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2022-04-16 3:11 PM (#620910 - in reply to #620908)
Subject: Re: Wanted: correct headlights for 62

Interesting to find someone else who cares about headlight bulb authenticity as much as I and a very few others. Great. I started with concerns for getting my '57 4 lamp cars correct. The factory had multiple suppliers. Clearly GE was considered highest quality and "first choice" for their contracts and assembly line installations. Tung Sol was second choice and dominated installations when the GE shipments ran out. I don't know if there was a third supplier or even a need for a "second backup". The headlight industry used "center dot" or "center logo" wide flute style across all brands. I presume this continued true for numerous years of late 50s and through the '60s at least.
However I'm going to differ with you on the "Center Dot" bulbs later use. I believe the industry changed the logo location DURING the 1961 production year. Early cars got "center dots" until the inventory on hand was depleted. Later cars had "bottom logo" bulbs installed on the production line. Thus, I'd believe all cars built for the 1962 and later production years were "bottom logo" types, still with wide fluting.
Seems to me narrow fluting was adopted in the bulb industry in the very late '60s but don't quote me on that.

Regards your needs, I've "matched up" bulb types in my cars from junk yard bulbs many many times over many cars. Being less-used collector cars, I can't now recall ever having to replace one of those 'junk yard' bulbs again due to burn out. So that would be my suggestion.

Happy bulb and Easter Egg hunting.

My research on original cars and salvage yard cars always backed this up.
StillOutThere
Posted 2022-04-16 3:17 PM (#620911 - in reply to #620908)
Subject: Re: Wanted: correct headlights for 62

I should add my cars were primarily Chrysler and DeSoto. They definitely used GE as top shelf, first choice. I have noted that Plymouth and Dodge cars often had Tung Sol factory installs. Keep those contract shipments coming to the plants.
If there was a third contract, I would say it was very likely Westinghouse.
One thing I should never have to remind you, but for other readers: We should NEVER see "T-3" bulbs intended only for GM cars in our MoPar restorations! T-3s insult our cars!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)