The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can Powerflite lock up engine? Transport guys unloaded in gear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Manifest Predicament
Posted 2022-06-03 4:08 PM (#621912)
Subject: Can Powerflite lock up engine? Transport guys unloaded in gear.

My 56 Town & Country was dropped off in Omaha this morning which I was not there. The car ran fine (Beautifully actually) when loaded and now it won't start. Can't turn the crank by hand (my local guy tells me). The starter solenoid seems to work but wont spin the engine.. (Battery strong and not the issue) I'm hoping a bad starter as I have a spare and perhaps to the local guy - the engine is just on a compression stroke so the belts slip//. Not sure till I get there Sunday.

Anyway - if the transport guyys which know noting about these cars let it roll off the ramps while the shifter is in reverse or drive could it cause an issue? It was a high ramp. I know they are made to push start but if it was in D and they let it roll backwards..
Anyway is there any way a torque converter can lock up an engine? I just want to eliminate that possibility. Thanks!!

Edited by Manifest Predicament 2022-06-03 5:21 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2022-06-03 5:23 PM (#621913 - in reply to #621912)
Subject: Re: Can Powerflite lock up engine? Transport guys unloaded in gear.

Expert

Even if the convertor locked up, not likely, the stator and input spline would both have to seize up to the reaction support to lock the engine, never saw any occasion where this happened. Even if you had it in drive at low idle and rolled it down the loading ramp, this wouldn't cause that condition. See if you can turn the engine over either way on the crank pulley bolt.
Manifest Predicament
Posted 2022-06-06 4:15 PM (#621965 - in reply to #621913)

Thank you - Got out there and pulled the started - It burned up!! Solenoid worked but thankfully I had a spare. It had the wrong splines so I swapped out bendex units and it worked!! The shaft was narrower but it got me by.. Now to somehow find out why the armature didnt work...
56D500boy
Posted 2022-06-06 6:18 PM (#621967 - in reply to #621965)

Expert 5K+

Manifest Predicament - 2022-06-06 1:15 PM
Now to somehow find out why the armature didnt work...

Not saying that this is *YOUR* issue but I had starter issues a few years back and it turns out that one (or two) of the carbon Commutator End Thrust/spacer washers (labeled to section 8-52-121 in the diagram below) had broken/disintegrated, allowing the armature to bang into the end plate and short out - BUT not consistently. Sometimes it was fine, other times, nothing.

The diagram:

PNs vary depending on thickness: 1/32 = 641 446, 3/64 = 672 641, 1/16 = 1383 663

The damaged commutator (easier to replace with NOS than repair, in my case):

REFERENCE: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70560&...

(StarterThrushWasherPNs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments StarterThrushWasherPNs.jpg (181KB - 87 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)