The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Southern Yankee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-18 9:17 PM (#622969)
Subject: Southern Yankee

Greetings,

I'm new here. Proud inheritor of a Regatta Blue?? 57' 4dr New Yorker. She's rough and crusty, but intact, including the 392ci Hemi. Not much to report presently, but I thought I would post some pictures of it in it's current state of slow disintegration.

Plans are to clean out the inside, (as it's presently being used to store who knows what and doubling as a home for various species of woodland creatures), dig out the wheels and make her rollable, then get it on a tow truck/stored indoors, and assess the pain ratio.

Long term goals are to do a mild custom/resto/mod... Mr Vandergriff's 2dr is a huge inspiration. I'm flirting with the idea of a chopped roofline/coupe conversion, as this is a sedan

(IMG-0586 - Copy.jpg)

(IMG-0584 - Copy.jpg)

(IMG-0583 - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG-0586 - Copy.jpg (121KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments IMG-0584 - Copy.jpg (67KB - 69 downloads)
Attachments IMG-0583 - Copy.jpg (155KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
61kustom
Posted 2022-07-18 11:38 PM (#622972 - in reply to #622969)
Subject: Re: Southern Yankee

Regular

Cool project, tuning in and looking forward to seeing another custom unfold!
Powerflite
Posted 2022-07-19 10:10 AM (#622975 - in reply to #622969)

Expert 5K+

I would love that car in it's stock form. The only custom thing I would do to it would be to blacken out the aluminum trim on the windows. Every chopped top sedan project I have seen stops short due to not thinking about where you are going to get the glass from. Don't be the guy that chops everything up only to leave it sitting around until guys like me take it cheap and part out the disaster. I recommend you get the motor running first. A strong running 392 is always worth the effort.

Please post a picture of the body tag when you get a chance. It looks like it was originally forest green & white. Forest green is one of my favorite colors for these cars. I would probably change it to forest green & black to give it a darker feel, and to match the blackened out window trim.

Here is one of mine that I parted out.
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=59642&...

Edited by Powerflite 2022-07-19 3:14 PM

(Choppped_Windsor.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Choppped_Windsor.jpg (346KB - 68 downloads)
GaryS
Posted 2022-07-19 1:14 PM (#622982 - in reply to #622969)

Expert

Good to see another FL car destined for survival in Texas!

There is an old car salvage yard not too far from here that has advertised having a few old finned MoPars and might be a source if you need parts. Their name is Browne Auto Salvage and they have a page on Facebook.
ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-19 7:09 PM (#623002 - in reply to #622982)

Very cool, thank you for the contact.

ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-19 7:38 PM (#623004 - in reply to #622975)

Point taken, I haven't really committed to the idea of a chop, just flirting. I really like the original lines of the top and the way it transitions to the rear glass/quarter panels. It really is a good looking car. I think it was you who posted some photo shopped versions of a Desoto that was originally white and green, and you were discussing green/black or black/green (primary/secondary). I really liked the green/black, I thought it looked better than the factory colors. Honestly, Ive been lurking on here for awhile and all the cars are starting to run together...

By far, Danny Vandergriff's car is what has stolen my heart/head/wallet. I first saw it in the GoodGuy's magazine spreadwhen it came out, and since then I have been ravenously hunting every image I can. If I have it my way, thats where I ultimately want to end up. Mild customization, 392Hemi w/modern SMPI fuel injection (F.A.S.T., Holley), manual trans, and that stance. I've got the fever for it, bad.

Currently, the car is sitting at my father-in-law's place about 40 miles from me. He just passed away a couple of weeks ago, so there is some sorting out to be done at his place before I take full possession of the car. It's been sitting for 20 years or so, so I'm probably going to have my hands full just getting it out of the property. Right now I can't get within more than 10' of it without being attacked by red hornets. Plus, it's stupid hot here in East Texas and lots of copperhead snakes are about. I also have the pleasure of hauling away a caravan of Dodge Caravans circa 1984-1992, the man literally has about 9 of them in various states of taken-apartness, and used as non-mobile storage units.

As soon as I can brave the bugs I'm going to open the hood and get at the body tag.

ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-19 7:50 PM (#623005 - in reply to #622975)

ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-19 7:52 PM (#623006 - in reply to #622975)

Do you have a side picture of this car before you parted it out? I'm curious what the welded back doors look like.

Powerflite
Posted 2022-07-19 8:16 PM (#623009 - in reply to #622969)

Expert 5K+

All the pictures I have are in that thread I posted. They were very poorly done. If you look at the left rear quarter panel, you can see that he warped the whole quarter panel pretty badly from welding the doors shut. The right side was only a little better, but he slapped a huge amount of bondo over the problem and made it temporarily look OK.

This is a 300C with Forest Green paint on it. It's more of a dark turquoise color, but the UV exposure over the many years makes the color look more like a dark green, more than it really was.

(Forest Green 300C.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Forest Green 300C.jpg (123KB - 75 downloads)
ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-19 8:52 PM (#623011 - in reply to #623009)

Nice!

ISGRH
Posted 2022-07-20 7:10 PM (#623042 - in reply to #622969)

FYI...

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/custom-glass/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)