The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 Plymouth Savoy Project
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

curtiscnc
Posted 2022-08-28 6:55 PM (#623872)
Subject: 1956 Plymouth Savoy Project

New User

just picked up a 56 Plymouth savoy, in far condition. some rust on the roof and driver side floor and passenger rocker. but not as bad as my 51 ford shoebox, No floors. it has the rear end from a 96 ford explorer with disc brakes so i decided to put front disc brakes on it. But i don't like the available kits out there so I decided to cut my own backing plats on my cnc plasma table to fit the 94 to 04 mustang front disc caliper and rotor. i did to trial and error with different spindles, but in the end the best fit is the spindle in the Plymouth drum. I cut off the rivets and removed the spindle it is a close fit to the 94 mustang rotor the front spindle cone is about 2-.003 too big and the plate is about .125-.300 too big. so i chucked the spindles up in my lathe and turned them down and now a perfect fit. next i decided to drill out the lug bolt holes and press in studs. the holes need to be .005 smaller than the stud knurl. the backing plate needed to be .500 thick to line up the caliper correctly with the rotor. the next problem was the stock steel wheels hitting the calipers i could use 1/5" spacers but i don't like going that rough. i just happened to have a donor 96 ford explorer and the 16" wheels fit the front perfectly, so i am going to get p205 or 215 75R16 tires to hopefully fit the narrow rear spacing, without changing the fenders. if i need to i'll raise the rear for more clearance.
I am using an ac Delco duel cylinder master cylinder and a disc/disc proportioning valve. I removed the oil bath filter and installed a VW satellite oil filter adaptor to use a screw on filter. I am also changing to mechanical linkage accelerator to a cable.
it looks like it will be on the road by October 2022 it run good and the 3 speed trans and clutch are good so soon it will be for sale for someone else to finish. I am going to do the rust repair then I'll flip it, i need to finish my 51 ford. and i have a 64 ford E-100 for a customer to finish. so if any one is interested in the 56 Plymouth I'll post the progress. as i go. also the backing plates i made should fit 55-58 dodge, Plymouth, Desoto and others.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2022-08-28 9:02 PM (#623877 - in reply to #623872)
Subject: Re: 1956 Plymouth Savoy Project

Expert 5K+

The '55-'56 Dodge & Plymouth spindles are completely different from the '57-'61 so it's impossible that your backing plates can fit that wide of a range of vehicles. '55-'56 Dodge hubs are a little different from Plymouth hubs as well, and early '55 DeSoto & Chryslers are completely different from late '55-'56 DeSoto & Chrysler. In reality, your plates will only fit the '55-'56 Plymouth or Dodge, and the early '55 6 cyl cars may or may not be different.

Edited by Powerflite 2022-08-28 9:11 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)