The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 new yorker freeze plugs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

billy
Posted 2022-09-10 9:31 PM (#624156)
Subject: 57 new yorker freeze plugs

Extreme Veteran

So I'm heading out for barbecue and I'm 10 minutes into my journey when someone pulls up beside me and says "you know you're leaking like a sieve out the back?". I though I smelled anti freeze, but I'm always smelling something in this ole ride. I get back home and smoke/steam is billowing out. I thought I blew a radiator hose, turns out a freeze plug middle passenger side has blown out. This is a stock 1957 392 engine. Never been rebuilt. Where do I get freeze plugs? what size do I need for this engine? brass, steel, stainless or the ones you bolt in? if this 1 has popped, will this be the beginning of more to follow? Thanks in advance fellow forward lookers...billy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2022-09-10 10:40 PM (#624157 - in reply to #624156)
Subject: Re: 57 new yorker freeze plugs

Expert 5K+

You need to figure out why it leaked. Did it rust out? Did it just pop out whole? If it rusted out, which is the most likely scenario, then you need to take a sharp screwdriver and poke hard at all the other freeze plugs, all over them, to see how bad they are. If you find that they all hold up fine from the sharp poking around, then you can probably just replace the one plug. But if you find others that are rusted, you should replace all of them. Unfortunately, doing the front plugs is no easy task with the engine still in the car, but it can be done. I highly recommend using the bolt-in style from Hot Heads. They don't seal as well because of the typically rusted surfaces, so you will need to use silicone sealer with them, but they will never pop out, and they will never rust out again.
billy
Posted 2022-09-11 12:36 PM (#624169 - in reply to #624156)
Subject: Re: 57 new yorker freeze plugs

Extreme Veteran

thank you Nathan...billy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)