The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad news/Good news - 56 Dodge 4 bbl carb linkage adjustment issues
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2022-10-11 2:16 AM (#624833)
Subject: Bad news/Good news - 56 Dodge 4 bbl carb linkage adjustment issues

Expert 5K+

Dels56 (Del S.) was in town and dropped by this morning to see me and my 56 Dodge so we could compare notes and discuss various current and future projects that we are both working on. That was good.

I had driven Del's 56 Custom Royal Lancer 4 bbl 315 poly in the summer and wanted him to drive mine so he could experience the power brakes and steering that my car has (and his does not). That went well but when we got back home after the drive, Del suggested that my "new" (Jan 2020) cast-iron Torqueflite could be adjusted to make the shifts somewhat less firm. So we popped the hood and he explained how the adjustment could be made at the throttle linkage.

As he was doing so, I had the "brilliant" idea to get Del to check that the secondaries were opening all the way when I floored the pedal. The engine was still hot so the choke was off and the secondaries were not locked out (like they are when the choke is still on). Del got into position to look down the carb and I floored the pedal. Guess what?

Del told me that a) the secondaries did NOT open at all and b) furthermore, the primaries did NOT fully open, even with the pedal matted to the firewall.

I was/am flummoxed. I had a suspicion that the secondaries were not opening fully but I am gob-smacked that the primaries are not even fully opening (and the secondaries were remaining closed).

Not sure when this happened - when I had the car in a shop 6 years ago after I had the carb rebuilt *OR* in Jan 2020 when the cast-iron Torqueflite was installed by a transmission shop.

Bottomline, I have been driving on something like 1.85 barrels for sometime (the performance wasn't that terrible) and I need to remedy the situation by adjusting the throttle and transmission linkages. Del gave me some hints but I am not going to remember them all and will have to do some Master Service Tech/Factory Service Manual sessions to figure it all out.

The "good" news is that when that is done, I will be gaining huge HP, i.e. from something like around 215 hp of a 2 bbl 315 Poly to maybe closer to the 260 hp that the D500 4 bbl hemi should actually be putting out.

The "bad" news is when the secondaries are actually going to be open, the fuel mileage is going to drop significantly, mostly because I will be nailing the throttle a lot - just for the fun of it.

Could be real fun.

Finally, I will be experiencing the D500 engine as it should be. [Slaps forehead]

Edited by 56D500boy 2022-10-11 2:28 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2022-10-16 9:56 PM (#624918 - in reply to #624833)
Subject: RE: Bad news/Good news - 56 Dodge 4 bbl carb linkage adjustment issues

Expert 5K+

So about a week later, I finally get around to figuring out how to adjust the idle speed (difficult to find the adjustment screw) and then re-setting the idle air on the primaries. Then I reattached the throttle linkage to the carb and adjusted the linkage.

The first attempt was wrong. Went the wrong way and ended up having very little throttle (maybe a 1 barrel (2 x 0.5 barrels)). Car could barely get out of its own way.

Second attempt was better and I either got back to where I had started before DelS visited or slightly better. Tomorrow I will try adjusting the linkage again.

Who knows, maybe third time lucky (??)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)