The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1959 Light Switch Removal and Disassembly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

chstrumpetdude
Posted 2022-12-07 11:37 AM (#626174)
Subject: 1959 Light Switch Removal and Disassembly

Regular

Below is the disassembly of the Light Switch of a 1959 Chrysler and likely other years and makes. I had a loose panel light knob and inconsistent contact for my panel lights. Contact point had heavy oxidation and evidence of arcing.
Removal is much easier with the front seat removed and speedometer, but not necessary. I extremely recommend a sturdy flex shaft nut driver (Masterforce @ Menards is where I got mine). You will need a standard socket and allen key to remove the switch from the dash. Take a picture or mark the housing for wire colors.
Carefully pry the housing crimps with a screwdriver (i could not get them very snug after, but you might have better luck and ending up crimping and some glue since I doubt this will be disassemble again in my lifetime.)
It is wise to mark the orientation of the rear terminals in the metal housing or else your switch positions for off and on would be backwards, but will still work.
The porcelain potentiometer and shaft have indexes cast into themselves and the metal housing and can only fit in one orientation.
All moving surfaces had a light application of white grease that I cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and used dielectric grease to relubrication. You don't want it on the potentiometer coil and you don't want a lot on the electrical switch contacts either since you want a good connection. The plastic on plastic moving parts does need grease, though. Cleaned all contacts with high grit sandpaper.
Don't loose the springs.

(IMG_0038.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0037.JPEG (226KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0036.JPEG (249KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0038.jpg (189KB - 68 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)