The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Brake Drums
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

34 Airflow
Posted 2023-01-15 7:14 PM (#626991)
Subject: New Brake Drums

Veteran

Has anyone ever bought these drums? I have had endless issues with the drums on my New Yorker and though I may just start from scratch as I do want to keep the car original.

I have read the drum and hub has to be matched?

Edited by 34 Airflow 2023-01-15 7:17 PM

(57 Brake Drums.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57 Brake Drums.png (99KB - 51 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2023-01-15 8:48 PM (#626993 - in reply to #626991)
Subject: Re: New Brake Drums

Expert 5K+

If you have a drum cutter to true the drum after you have attached them to the hubs, then there isn't a problem with them. It's just a lot easier to buy good used drums instead.
ronbo97
Posted 2023-01-15 10:13 PM (#626999 - in reply to #626991)
Subject: RE: New Brake Drums

Expert

34 Airflow - 2023-01-15 7:14 PM

Has anyone ever bought these drums? I have had endless issues with the drums on my New Yorker and though I may just start from scratch as I do want to keep the car original.

Do not buy repro drums. The factory drum and hub were centered and aligned as a one-piece assembly. If you separate the two, you will lose that alignment and your drums will never work properly. You will experience endless chattering, pulling and reduced braking. Is that what you want ?

What problems are you having with your drums ? What year is your car ? Have you had the drums turned ? Are they still in spec ? Are they warped ?

Ron

34 Airflow
Posted 2023-01-15 10:31 PM (#627000 - in reply to #626999)

Veteran

ronbo97 - 2023-01-16 12:13 PM

34 Airflow - 2023-01-15 7:14 PM

Do not buy repro drums. The factory drum and hub were centered and aligned as a one-piece assembly. If you separate the two, you will lose that alignment and your drums will never work properly. You will experience endless chattering, pulling and reduced braking. Is that what you want ?

What problems are you having with your drums ? What year is your car ? Have you had the drums turned ? Are they still in spec ? Are they warped ?

Ron

HI Ron,

Thanks for the info, I had thought I had heard about the drum and hub being matched. My car is a 57 New Yorker and I have issues with rear brakes grabbing, we have replaced wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes and the next step is to machine the drums. The brake guys I use out here asked the question of replacement drums so I thought I should look into it. 

Trav

Viper Guy
Posted 2023-01-16 11:16 AM (#627006 - in reply to #626991)

Expert

It may not be your drums. It could be your shoes causing the grabbing. It they are old, they could be impregnated with moisture or other contaminants and causing the
grabbing. If you drag your brakes while moving slowly (heats them up), will the grabbing stop or lessen? If so, change your shoes and the problem may be solved.
wizard
Posted 2023-01-16 11:41 AM (#627009 - in reply to #626991)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

What Viper Guy writes - check the brake shoes first of all.
That said, I have separated all four drums from the hubs, first making a small reference hole so that I can mount them as they was assembled.
That way the balance remains and I get very easy access to the brakes on long roadtrips.
The rear drums is next to impossible to remove by the roadside if something should need service.
The front drums is not the same drama, but with my modification it's very easy and fast.

Tested the car over 100 mph, no vibrations, very good brake effect (fading of course) no problems.

The *** drums are most probably not balanced and surely of poor quality. My drums have 17000 miles and still very nice, I suspect that the brake shoes have the same 17000 miles on them - asbethos of course.

ronbo97
Posted 2023-01-16 11:58 AM (#627010 - in reply to #627000)

Expert

HI Ron,

Thanks for the info, I had thought I had heard about the drum and hub being matched. My car is a 57 New Yorker and I have issues with rear brakes grabbing, we have replaced wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes and the next step is to machine the drums. The brake guys I use out here asked the question of replacement drums so I thought I should look into it. 

Trav

I highly recommend doing your own brake work. The guys working on your car likely know little-to-nothing about late 50s Chrysler brakes. Do they have a tapered axle drum puller, so that they can correctly pull the drum/hub assembly ? It sounds like they are fans of 'just throw enough parts at it until the problem goes away' school of thought, so they can charge you $$$$$ for replacement of parts that may still be good.

Yes, the drum should be turned. It's part of the job. How are the two hex head adjusters on the back of the center support plate ? Do they turn freely or are they frozen ? I'm a fan of removing the center support plate and cleaning out all the accumulated dirt, testing the adjusters, then reinstalling. The adjusters are attached to eccentric cams and have to turn freely in order to do a successful brake job.

Ron

Edited by ronbo97 2023-01-16 11:59 AM
34 Airflow
Posted 2023-01-16 7:23 PM (#627030 - in reply to #626991)

Veteran

Thanks for the info guys! We replaced the wheel cylinders as they were leaking and the hoses were questionable so figured whilst we were getting parts shipped to Australia we would get shoes while we were at it. Freight is more expensive than the parts so I try and get everything in one go to make it more worthwhile.
Ron you are probably right about not having great knowledge of 50's Chryslers, almost impossible to find let alone in a small town of 12,000 people that I live in. The friend who owns the workshop I use was onto the tapered drum puller so at least we ticked that box.
The two hex adjusters are free, I will make sure we get those apart and cleaned right out as it could be something like that hopefully.
ronbo97
Posted 2023-01-16 9:47 PM (#627034 - in reply to #627030)

Expert

34 Airflow - 2023-01-16 7:23 PMThe two hex adjusters are free, I will make sure we get those apart and cleaned right out as it could be something like that hopefully.

Just to clarify, don't take the adjusters apart ! You will destroy the center support. Just remove the center support assembly. Then clean it out and dry it off. Verify that the adjusters still move when you put a socket on them.

Ron

34 Airflow
Posted 2023-01-17 6:28 PM (#627050 - in reply to #627034)

Veteran

ronbo97 - 2023-01-17 11:47 AM

34 Airflow - 2023-01-16 7:23 PMThe two hex adjusters are free, I will make sure we get those apart and cleaned right out as it could be something like that hopefully.

Just to clarify, don't take the adjusters apart ! You will destroy the center support. Just remove the center support assembly. Then clean it out and dry it off. Verify that the adjusters still move when you put a socket on them.

Ron

Thanks for the tip Ron!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)