The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gauge Degradation & Repair
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Powerflite
Posted 2023-02-21 12:37 AM (#627736)
Subject: Gauge Degradation & Repair

Expert 5K+

I am looking through 3 sets of fuel and temperature gauges for my '58 Fireflite. In testing them, I found that every one of the temperature gauges don't work unless you prevent the needle from going all the way back to zero, and instead hold it off by about 1/4". One of the fuel gauges reacts the same way but the other two work without having to do that. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? I don't see any damage just looking at them, but I probably don't know what to look for.

I am guessing that if the coils are shorting themselves out between layers, that would cause the reaction to become weaker, and might cause this, but not sure this is the problem or how to test for it, or how to fix it if it is. I guess I could just create a stop that prevents the needle from going too low, but I would rather not do that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samstrader
Posted 2023-02-21 3:20 PM (#627743 - in reply to #627736)
Subject: Re: Gauge Degradation & Repair

Extreme Veteran

I wonder if it is just sticking at the bottom.. Can you work it or very slightly oil something with Rem Oil? Rem Oil is massively better that sprays like WD 40 or others because it will never gum up and make something stick and it is a very thin oil that penetrates very well. WD 40 will gum up and stick up anything you put it on after enough time. WD 40 gummed up the slide on a Browning automatic shotgun I have and that is hard to do.

I don't know much about these gauges but I have had a lot of experience with something sitting too long an getting stuck for no apparent reason. An aluminum case is especially bad about this because slight corrosion in the aluminum will cause swelling that will cause things to stick.
wizard
Posted 2023-02-21 3:53 PM (#627744 - in reply to #627736)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Test the gauges with max 5 volts, ground the sender terminal and see if the needles goes up. Best to use an adjustable resitance or the tank sender. Light oil does not hurt.
I use 2 1,5 batteries soldered in serie so I get 3 volts, thats enough to test
Powerflite
Posted 2023-02-21 7:57 PM (#627753 - in reply to #627736)

Expert 5K+

Nothing is stuck or hindered in any way. You can use gravity to move the needle to the other side, or use your finger with no force on it. The problem is, in that region, the needle refuses to move, or it may be trying to force it the wrong direction, I'm not sure. But move the needle with your finger a little above the zero point, and it works perfectly.

Sven, I don't have issues with testing, just how to fix it. The '57-'58 gauges use full 12 volts, but they aren't supposed to see less than 15 ohms resistance. Giving them less than that is where the problem occurs. So you can use a 25ohm resistor & 12 volts. But an old computer power supply is a good source for 5 volts that's easy to work with, if you are working on a '59-up dash.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)