The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

madfins
Posted 2023-03-20 4:14 PM (#628386)
Subject: Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan

Regular

A quote from owners of a 1962 Dodge convertible in the most recent issue of the Plymouth Bulletin when asked about their car -

"People have cared for this very nice car since new. Now it is our turn to care for it. When we are finished, we will find someone else to be the steward".
After reading and reflecting a bit on that answer, I am asking folks opinion - Is it time for me to find a new steward for our family's keepsake?

Current Status -

"Big Old Car", as named by our daughter, has been stuck in our garage since May, 2022. At some point earlier, the main spring above the garage door broke in half.
We only realized it had broken that particular day when the door itself would only rise about a foot before the door opener shut itself off to save its motor.
Of course, in order to install a new spring and door opener, the car has to be moved out of the garage.

The first issue I have run into is to find a place to get maintenance items done (it was due) and stored out of the weather while the spring / opener are replaced and garage reorganized.
I contacted the place I had used most recently and was told a 2 month wait (mid-July) to get in. That came and went (no call back even after emails)
and learned late last summer from others in the same boat that since their father died the sons are no longer interested in working on older classic cars.

Have gone to others with the same result (the ever popular 2 month or so wait with no response when that date reached) except for one place who did get back to me
with a scheduled date after I ran into him at a car show earlier this year and reminded him of our previous discussions last August.

Needed / Definite Work To Be Done -

Anything related to getting a car sitting in a garage for a while back on the road -

- oil change and new filter (non-synthetic oil - (will check if it was 10w-30 or 10w-40)
- grease job / lube front suspension and other areas of car (door hinges, heat riser, etc.) as needed
- clean out / repair / change gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, gas tank sender, gas tank filter sock, carb, inline gas filter, sending unit
- replace anti-freeze (green), thermostat
- check / replace water pump
- new transmission pan gasket, refill transmission fluid (will check on type to be used since type A, suffix A not available)
- check status of fan belt and heater / radiator / bypass hoses
- check status of front and rear shocks; rear springs (speed bumps now installed may need new rear springs to avoid clearance issues while going over them)

Tires -

Need to be replaced due to age in any case (either bias ply - Goodyear Custom Super Cushion - 750 x 14 - (5.5 inch rim width with 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern)) OR radial tires - brand TBD) .
Choice (new wheels to handle disc brakes and radial tires) depends on what happens with front brakes (see below)

Brakes - Currently using #5 silicone brake fluid - at minimum , brake lines to be inspected / cleaned

The type of tires purchased (and the need to purchase new wheels for them) depend on what happens with brakes -

- repair front drum brakes (check for leaking cylinders / hoses / lines / tubes between front wheel cylinders at nipples) - keep single reservoir and current brake light switch OR
- repair front drum brakes (check for leaking cylinders / hoses / lines / tubes between front wheel cylinders at nipples) - install double reservoir and new brake light switch OR
- replace front drum brakes with new disc brake setup - install double reservoir and new brake light switch (on pedal versus master cylinder)

I have included a few interior / exterior photos to show car -

(1960 Plymouth - front & left side 4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1960 Plymouth - front & left side 4.jpg (491KB - 42 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
madfins
Posted 2023-03-20 4:58 PM (#628389 - in reply to #628386)
Subject: RE: Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan

Regular

Additional photos -

(1960 plymouth front seat 3.jpg)

(1960 plymouth fury back seat 3.jpg)

(1960 Plymouth Fury package tray 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1960 plymouth front seat 3.jpg (493KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments 1960 plymouth fury back seat 3.jpg (487KB - 43 downloads)
Attachments 1960 Plymouth Fury package tray 3.jpg (487KB - 42 downloads)
madfins
Posted 2023-03-20 7:45 PM (#628396 - in reply to #628386)
Subject: Re: Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan

Regular

Been asked to add engine photo
madfins
Posted 2023-03-20 7:51 PM (#628397 - in reply to #628386)
Subject: Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan

Regular

Been asked to add engine photo -

(side engine view 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments side engine view 2.jpg (488KB - 47 downloads)
Viper Guy
Posted 2023-03-20 8:14 PM (#628398 - in reply to #628386)
Subject: Re: Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan

Expert

By the info you provided regarding “fixing” your car, you will probably have as much in repairs and time/labor than you would be able to sell it for. If you did fix it, the only way you would recoup your expenses would be to keep it and get the enjoyment of the automobile yourself.

Just my opinion but there are others on the forum that may have a better insight than I have.
ronbo97
Posted 2023-03-20 9:36 PM (#628399 - in reply to #628386)
Subject: RE: Opinions Needed - Do I Keep (Fix or Upgrade, Donate or Sell - 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr Sedan

Expert

So a couple of questions: How long have you owned this car ? When was the last time it ran and drove ?

Also, how can you be certain that the items on your list actually need to be done ? Does the car presently have DOT 5, or is this what you were planning ? Considering that these are relatively simple maintenance issues, why don't you do them yourself ? As the owner of a 63 year old car, I wouldn't expect that any mechanic these days has the knowledge or interest in working on something this old. And if they do, they will soak you for every dollar you have, while at the same time damaging or destroying hard-to-find parts because they assume that an Exner-era Plymouth is just like a Chevy they worked on when they were younger.

Ron

Powerflite
Posted 2023-03-20 9:54 PM (#628401 - in reply to #628386)

Expert 5K+

I recommend you keep it and figure out how to do the work yourself. Buy some good tools. It'll be a good learning experience for you.
The transmission fluid type you should use is Type F.
KYB shocks are an excellent choice. KG4507, made for the front of early '60's C-bodies work well on the front of our cars, just narrow down the lower mount with a grinder to get them to work.
You can use Monroe coil over shocks in the rear if you would like a little more support back there, or use KG4509 KYB's. The rear use later A-body shocks.

My philosophy on the brakes is if they don't work, then replace with discs on the front. Leave them alone if they work well. You can run the discs with the single pot master without issue. That will make the conversion easier for you so you aren't changing a bunch of stuff all at once.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, then most of the time, it probably isn't worth it, as labor costs are very high.
madfins
Posted 2023-03-21 11:38 AM (#628409 - in reply to #628399)

Regular

In regards to how long we have owned 'Big Old Car', here is its story as told in the July/August issue of the Plymouth Bulletin -

Apollo 61
Posted 2023-03-21 8:42 PM (#628426 - in reply to #628386)

Elite Veteran

Where is located and how much are you asking?
madfins
Posted 2023-03-22 3:21 PM (#628439 - in reply to #628386)

Regular

Replying to some of the questions asked -

The car currently has DOT 5 brake fluid and I am planning on continuing to use it if I go ahead and do the needed maintenance.

The physical location of the car (in a garage with a stuck door), my prior mechanical experience on this car in regards to brakes (zilch! - even when I have done work on
my other cars I have always relied on others for brake work) and recently arising diminishing physical abilities would preclude me from doing the work myself.

The car is in central New Jersey (close to the PA border and major interstates).

Should anyone be willing to share the name / location / contact info of a good mechanic with experience on these Fowardlook cars within the car's location
I would greatly appreciate it.

I have no plans to sell at this point.

madfins
Posted 2023-03-22 3:55 PM (#628441 - in reply to #628386)

Regular

In regards to whether certain individual items are needed -

Based on the number of emails and personal messages I am getting there is definite interest in the car.

Whether selling or not selling, I am erring on the side of caution. I would rather invest the money to check on the status of the gas tank, fuel lines, carb, sock fuel filter, changing the oil, lube, anti-freeze, etc.,
and minimize any potential damage that would turn 'Big Old Car' into a very large and permanent paperweight if not performed.

How many of you would want a paperweight that does not run?

I do have seepage from the transmission gasket but the gasket is easily replaceable and the transmission itself was shifting perfectly. I have had this before , replaced the gasket, refilled the fluid and all has been well.

If any issues are going to arise we all know it will be with the brakes. Sitting does not help them. Whether it is 2 days, 2 months or 2 years I would expect to incur grabbing, pulling, seeping wheel cylinders, etc., once the car is out of the garage.

As I noted earlier, I do not touch them. I look to the experts. Between related technical bulletins and the repair manuals for the 1960 Plymouth I think I have that area more than covered.

New tires are due. Depending on where I go with the brakes (front drum or disc) impacts the type of wheels (drum or disc) and what I would do (reup with Goodyear bias-ply or switch to radials) with my tire purchase.
ronbo97
Posted 2023-03-22 9:57 PM (#628448 - in reply to #628409)

Expert

madfins - 2023-03-21 11:38 AM In regards to how long we have owned 'Big Old Car', here is its story as told in the July/August issue of the Plymouth Bulletin -

Uh, where is the story ? Not seeing it 'here'.

Ron

madfins
Posted 2023-03-23 10:33 AM (#628455 - in reply to #628386)

Regular

Having issues with ability to load it due to size limitation.

Trying to scan pages individually but do not have a descent print out of each page due to ink issues within printer.

In process of finding the original document the story was written for.

It will be available in the next day or so.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2023-03-23 8:50 PM (#628469 - in reply to #628455)

Hi, Michael:

It looks like a wonderful car!

I'll put in a plug for donating it!  If you have a favorite charity (most accept car donations) - they would be thrilled to get it and 

I bet they could get a lot of money for it.  I've never enjoyed much of a tax benefit from my donations, but it always feels good

to support the cause you are passionate about at a level that you might not otherwise be considering.

Edited by Lancer Mike 2023-03-23 8:52 PM
madfins
Posted 2023-03-24 11:54 AM (#628480 - in reply to #628386)

Regular

Everyone,

I have found the original writeup I prepared for the July-August 2010 issue of the Plymouth Bulletin marking the 50th anniversary of the 1960 Plymouth.

Still looking for the individual photos that came with the story, but this is a good start as to what 'Big Old Car' has been and means to our family -

"Big Old Car's" Story -

It was a clear and cold Tuesday night, January 5th, 1960, when my mother, father and I went by bus from Jersey City, NJ to AZ Motors on Willow Avenue in Hoboken to
pick up our new 1960 Plymouth Fury 4dr sedan. We had been looking forward to this night for quite some time since a steel strike in 1959 had delayed its arrival at the
dealership.

Our prior car was a maroon 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. Even though my father had recently had the car repainted (an Earl Schieb $29.95 special)
and had replaced the entire exhaust system, my mother said it was time to go and get a new car. The 1949 Plymouth was sold to the brother-in-law of one of my father’s
friends for $125.

Our new Plymouth was painted in a two-tone style (Jet Black and Oyster White). My father opted to add the ‘sports tone’ paint treatment along with the extra stone
shields along the wheel wells of the front fenders. In addition, he added a front bumper guard to protect the new grille and went for the V8 – 318 cu in engine along with
the 3-speed Tourqueflite transmission. Otherwise the car was standard for the Fury model (no power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning).

I can remember that during one of the prior times we had been at the dealership, a new red and white Fury convertible had been on display on the showroom floor.
I thought about asking if we could buy the convertible instead of the sedan, but I knew my parents were like many other couples in the late 50’s / early 60’s (in the
process of looking to buy a new house, raise a family, etc.) so practicality and functionality (4 door sedan) won out over style and pizzazz (2 door convertible).

In addition, since the car was to be a daily driver, I am not sure how well the convertible top would have dealt with the NJ winters it would have been exposed to over
the years.

On the way home, the biggest concern we all had was the thought that perhaps the new Plymouth would be too big for our garage. Up to that point, we had not
thought to measure neither the car nor the garage. The 1960 Plymouth was much wider (78 inches) and longer (209 inches) that the 1949 Plymouth. In the end,
everything was fine since the new Plymouth made it with room to spare.

Over the years our family has gone to many places with what our 9-year-old daughter calls ‘Big Old Car’. She loves to ‘drive’ it into the garage and likes to help
keep it clean. Even when the Plymouth is not at its best looking (dusty or dirty) it still turns heads and gets a lot of ‘thumbs up’ and ‘horn honks’ as I drive it around
on weekends.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)