|The Forward Look Network|
|'59 Plymouth Suburbans|
|Author: Kenny J. (Show all albums)|
These are my '59 Plymouth wagons. I have owned the blue one since February, 1985. Until recently, I drove it frequently, usually three to five times per week. It has an AAJ front disk brake kit, an H.E.I. distributor and radial tires. Colors are 1973 GM medium blue metallic and 1973 GM light blue metallic. I have made no modifications that can't be easily reversed. I have a complete set of Solex glass & a tinted windshield from donor wagons. I plan to install the tinted glass when it receives its next paint job. It's overdue for a repaint (last painted in 1986.) I have included some images of it's 1986 partial disassembly and repainting. It's 1957 230 flat head six is very tired. Hank Dozier is modifying and assembling a 1956 DeSoto 330 V-8 which was to replace the six. but John Fowlie located a suitable, rebuildable 318. So the 330 will be used in the two door wagon. I have acquired some heavier duty torsion bars, an AAJ rear disk brake kit and will be ordering new rear springs, possibly from Eaton. I already possess the necessary perches for installing V-8 engine mounts and have a variety of rear axle ratios and three speed manual transmissions to match to the new powerplant, depending upon whether or not I install overdrive.
I have also posted some pix of my '59 Plymouth Suburban two door. It has a 318-stick. This black "beauty" needs some serious help, but should be a fine ride when it's done.
There are also some photos of the two "parts donor" cars. They were well picked over by the time I acquired them. They were both dismantled some time ago. I also posted some pix of my non-Forward Look vehicles.
During December, 2005, I acquired another four door wagon, a factory overdrive car. Initially, it appeared to be even more solid and much straighter than my blue wagon was when I first acquired that one. It turned out to have more rust issues than the blue one. Plus some lower body damage. I removed the engine , transmission and manual transmission unique parts. I then traded the vehicle to Big M for a 1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Sundance. So contact Big M if you are interested....thanks for looking.
That's a new old stock tail light. I also got a matching lense for the other side.
You can see the great job the stainless steel trim guy did on the fin cap. The replacement section of quarter panel ended at factory weld line on top of the fin, but the primer was continued over the "crest" of the fin and nearly to the fuel filler opening. The "Inboard" section of the fin was easily worked back into place.
I installed the quarter script and fin trim to make it look a tad bit better for now. The area where the trim holes end is just forward of where the replacement section was welded into place.
The car was covered in dust and hadn't been washed since August. We currently have a ban on washing cars at home due to a drought. I wasn't going to risk taking it through a mechanical car wash with the body damaged.
This is the wagon the day I picked it up from the body shop. The repair guy only needed the rear portion of the replacement quarter. The blue primer was a surprise. I instructed them not to paint the area as the car needs a total repaint and additional body work elsewhere. I was expecting a more traditional primer color.
Two direct scans put together to show the remnants of the driver side tail light. Ouch! After getting around a stubborn and uncooperative adjuster, I decided to deal directly with the driveline shop's insurance company. Once I provided the necessary information directly to their main office, my claim was settled to my satisfaction. The shop people were remorseful for the accident and I will continue to patronize them. They do darn good tranny and drive train work!
I did not bother to get the fin trim repaired since I had a couple of extras on hand. The "Suburban" script did not break, but simply followed the contour of the dent. The fuel tank stopped the dent from creasing further. I was able to remove the script and flatten it for reuse.
Since the wagon is overdue for a complete repaint (something I can't afford at the moment), I decided the have the body shop leave the repair in primer. I'm certainly happy the damage wasn't any worse.
The body shops willing to tackle the job juggled two repair options. Hammer and dolly work would mean not having to remove this solid rear quarter. Replacing the quarter's outer skin would be less labor intensive, but would require trimming. cleaning, aligning and welding the replacement panel into place.
I had three options here. First was purchasing a new old stock trim piece for around $200.00 Second was trying to locate a good used one. The third, getting this one repaired by a stainless trim expert for $40.00, proved the most practical. He also repaired the fin cap above the tail light opening.
This damage was the result of the wagon rolling into the Jeep.
The regular auto body shops did not want to tackle the job. They either no longer employed personnel who were capable of handling this sort of repair, or did not have the time to bother with something this old.
|Search for anything on eBay!
|(Delete all cookies set by this site)|