Re: [GFS] Gas Tank Advice

Golden Fin Society - http://clubs.hemmings.com/goldenfin/

Jack:

Regarding the gas tank.  Here is my experience and advice on it.

When I started my restoration, I took my tank to the near by radiator shop

and had it boiled out.  I then got a tank kit from Eastwood which was an
interior coating and exterior zinc paint.  I did the restoration by the
book
and put my tank in the attic for three years waiting for installation on
the
car.  When I got it down for installation on the car I found that the
interior coating had seperated in big sheets from the tank.  The tank
continued to rust and the coating came loose.

I then took it to Tank-Renu to clean up the mess and for about $300 they
cleaned it and put a superior coating inside and out.  The exterior
coating
was black, but it holds paint well.  I therefore painted it with the
Eastwood
zinc paint and it looks great and will last for a long long time.

So far, I would recommend the Tank-Renu process.  Do not mess with the
kits.

Ed Dea was able to have the exterior of this tank silver power coated, but

the shop I dealt with didn't understand what I wanted, so I went with the
black rubberized coating and zinc paint.

John Teske