Re: [GFS] '58 back on the road!

--- In goldenfin@xxxx, "Paul A. Schmidt" <shmitato@xxxx> wrote:
> When I rebuilt my tranny, it appears that a piece of slag was cast
into the
> case, which broke lose, smashing the kickdown servo to pieces and
eventually
> wiping out the low gear band.
>          Quality was "Job 99" back then?
>        Paul Schmidt
>           '57 Fury

The problems with mine where an astonishing amount or sludge and crap
built up inside.  And as the shop pointed out, if the transmission
looks like this, then so does the inside of the torque converter.  I
opted to replace it entirely.  Splines on the stator shaft looked
like a dog with titanium teeth had used it for a chew-toy. bands and
clutches all had deep worn grooves, and several mating surfaces were
worn beyond tolerance. The valve body was completely gunked up
solid.  Everyone was at a loss of how it moved before at all!  I was
NOT envious of the job these guys had in front of them with my car.
They earned every penny of what I paid.  The good part is that the
guy stuck to his original estimate on labor, despite the amount of
extra work it turned out to be.

Like I said, the shift quality is amazing, especially for 50's
technology.  My dad's 90's Grand Prix doesn't even shift as smooth.
All that's left now that the brakes are working again is to take it
back to the transmision shop so they can fine-tune the kick-down and
shift points.

in all, not all *that* bad of an experience, I just wish it only
needed soft parts!

Brian

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.