Re: [GFS] 57/58 POLY

--- In goldenfin@xxxx, "Larry Stanley" <peerless@xxxx> wrote:
> Personally, I do not endorse the changing of any serial number
whatever the
> reason. There is enough confusion about what was what now that
adding any
> more isn't needed. In most states it is illeagal to change any
part of any
> serial number on a car. In some states, a replacement block that
came
> without a number would have to have the old engines number stamped
on the
> pad. In others, a new (often made up) number had to be stamped if
one was
> not already stamped. (Check your local laws, your mileage will
vary, .....)
> I would be torn , 'though, about having a true 1958 non-Fury
engine in the
> '58 Fury or keeping the true '57 Fury engine with its colorful
backstory.

> Larry

Well Larry, that would probably be considered a fairly extreme
viewpoint in many peoples eyes.  A few points though... There is
no "pad" in the block for a number... and the whole darn thing looks
like it was hand-stamped to begin with. And I don't know any laws or
regulations which govern the ENGINE numbers of a car... VIN #'s are
of course another story. I have only encountered a few vehicles that
were ever titled or registered off the engine #'s - those were the
inspection people didn't know where to look for the real VIN (like
VW beetles - under the back seat), and those whose VIN's had been
removed and there were no other #'s on the car, or those who just
plain screwed up the registration (like minimum wage idiots at the
DMV who will NOT under any circumstance believe your 6 or 7 digit #
is the REAL VIN).  I have a '67 Beetle with a factory remanufactured
engine, and on it, the whole engine # was routed out of the block,
leaving only the "H" type identifier, and stamped with a really cool
little VW emblem with "recycle" type arrows going around it.  Maybe
other states are more Dracionian about it than Mizzery, but I dobt
many others give a flying F about what #'s appear on a 44 year
old "clunker".  Of course that's just my opinion...

You make an excellent point though... it's tough... keep
an "incorrect" block in the car but with an interesting history (and
at least it's a "real" Fury block), or find a "correct" FLP block
(or "fake" one) and just have correct looking #'s.  Tough call man.

My theory, from looking at the "F" in the #'s is that the "F" blocks
are the same as any other Plymouth 318 block of the time.  I think
that when the motor was destined for a Fury, the "F" was added so as
to identify it as a motor with the higher compression pistons, rowdy
cam, forged crank or whatever else was special to the Fury, etc so
they didn't wind up in the nanny's grocery getter Plaza or Savoy.
Again, just my opinion.

Brian

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/BBiolB/TM