[GFS] Virgil Exner, Jr.

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with Virgil Exner, Jr.  For those of you who are
familiar only with his father's work, Virgil Jr. also had a long and very
fascinating career in automotive design, some of which I have highlighted
below.

For those of you who have spoken with Mr. Exner in the past, you know that
he is incredibly knowledgable about cars, both Chrysler and non-Chrysler.
He's also very friendly and loves to talk about automotive design and
history.

On behalf of The Forward Look Network, we offered to fly him & his wife to
Pennsylvania to join us at Chryslers at Carlisle, 2005, to spend some time
seeing all of the Forward Look cars, Golden Fin Furys, Imperials, and
Chrysler 300s that he is so familiar with.  They were excited for the
opportunity to come to the show to see the cars and spend some time with us,
the owners.  He will be letting us know soon to confirm that they will be
available to attend.  I'll post further details as I get them.

This year's C@C is shaping up to be one not to miss! (Maybe we'll even order
some real catering for Saturday night this time, eh?)  =)

-Dave Stragand

*******
Brief Biography of Virgil M. Exner, Jr.

1957-1958
Designer at Studebaker-Packard Corporation, South Bend, Indiana

1958-1961
Design-Consultant for Ghia, Italy. Fiat 2100S Sports - Ghia Selene II - VW
Karmann Ghia 1500 many Renault (Caravelle), Fiat, and VW proposals

1962-1967
Virgil M. Exner Inc., started design business with his father.
Design-Consultant for Ghia, Pininfarina, U.S. Steel, Duesenberg Corp.,
Stutz, The Copper Development Association, and Renwal Models, design of
powerboats: Riva (Italy), Buhler Turbocraft (Indianapolis, Indiana) design
of "Motor Trend: Car of the Year"-Trophy

1967-1968
Ford Design, Dearborn, Michigan

1970
Ford Thunderbird, 1970 Ford Maverick, 1971 Ford Pinto (exterior!),

1971
Mercury Marquis

1969-1974
Ford of Europe (1 year at Germany, 4 years at England), as a
design-executive, Ford Escort - Ford Granada - Ford Fiesta

1974-1988
Ford, Dearborn, Michigan. 1979 Ford Crown Victoria, 1979 Grand Marquis, 1980
Ford Thunderbird, many advanced car, and truck programs. May 1988
Retirement, as Design-Manager

'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/BBiolB/TM