Re: [GFS] Fury steering wheel

Hello Gary:

    I have both the standard and power  steering wheels.  I had them cast
from originals which were in very  poor condition.  The originals were of white
or milky plastic which  disintegrated from UV exposure. I understand that the
plastic was made  from soybeans rather than petroleum as used today.  I doubt
that you will  find any of these in serviceable condition.  I took one and
rebuilt it with  epoxy which took me several weeks.  I then sent it off to a
person who  recast them in modern black plastic.  I sent both the standard and
power steering wheels to serve as cores.  He knocked all the old plastic  off and
cast them as new using my rebuilt one as a model.  They cost me  $400 a pop
and are not for sale.

    Now you ask, what is the difference  between them.  Well, the difference
is the way they fit at the top of  the steering column.  The top of the
standard and power steering columns  are built differently.  Each core is bent
slightly different.  I was  lucky in finding one of each.  You may still be able
to find examples of  each in a junk yard.  In addition, the horn ring has a
metal tag under the  red and blue medallion that says "Power Steering."  I was
fortunate to be  able to find one of  these also.

     A couple years ago I saw a  complete power steering unit for sale in
Rapid City.  Last year I also saw  a 4 door 56 Plymouth for sale at Carlisle for
$3800 with complete power features  including windows and steering.  I almost
bought it for the power equipment  but decided against it.  I'm not set up to
part out cars, and I think my  wife and neighbors would object anyway.

    Now that you know what to look for,  good luck. There are probably power
units still out there waiting for  you.

    John  Teske

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/BBiolB/TM