Re: [GFS] 56 Fury - Over Heating

Hi Jim,  It sounds like a plugged block,  But before you go that route I
would have a test done that checks for a leaking head gasket or a
cracked cyl. head.   Its called a Dye Test. Its a very simple test.
Most garages have them.  They put a colored fluid in a tube with a
rubber bulb I the end.  They stick the other end in the top of the
radiator.  If there is any exhaust getting in the cooling system  the
fluid will change colors in less than 30 seconds.  Its very fast and
cheap to have done.

If that checks out OK  I would buy several cans of cooling system
cleaner.  Most brands will tell you to poor it in and drive it for 30
minutes.  Then drain the system.  I would just do it in your driveway,
just set the idle up to 1200-1500 rpm. ( SEE BELOW Install the screen
first)  After draining the system do it again but let it set over night.
Then run it again for another 30 minutes.  After that  Remove both upper
and lower radiator hoses and back flush the engine.
 Now hook your lower hose up.   NOW THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT    You
don't want to start the engine up and fill your new radiator full of
crud  from the engine.   REMOVE THE UPPER HOSE FROM THE RADIATOR
TAKE A PIECE OF  SCREEN MATERIAL  AND WRAP A PIECE AROUND A SCREW DRIVER
HANDLE AND PUSH IT INTO THE UPPER INLET,  WORK IT AROUND TO MAKE IT AS
ROUND AS YOU CAN.  take A PAIR OF SCISSORS AND TRIM THE EXCESS OFF AND
PUT THE HOSE BACK ON.  Now then you run the engine the crud will be
caught in the screen.  Don't drive it until you have cleaned the screen
several times.  When it starts clearing up go ahead and drive it.
Save the crap from the screen. you will be suprised how much you will
trap from clogging your new radiator.               Gary Barker

jthxx56 wrote:

>Group:
>
>I have a 56 Fury that I can not drive because it over heats.  I have
>replaced water pump and the radiator.  I have run it with and without
>a thermostat and it still over heats.  Any thoughts on what may be
>causing this problem?
>
>Jim House

Yahoo! Groups Links