Re: [GFS] 58 FURY QUESTION

I have a 1968 "Hustle Stuff" catalog from Chrysler and they have listed chrome "football" air cleaners and valve covers.  I don't know when mother mopar started selling those things in chrome.
---- reliatec@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Ed,
>
> This is Charles Grant in Tampa, Florida.
>
> My fatherm who worked for Chrysler, purchased a new  1958 Fury in August of
> 1958.  I am in the process of restoring it  now.  The Golden Commando came
> with painted valve covers and  breathers.  However, we removed and modified
> the engine in 1963 (when I was  14 and worshipped the very ground that car
> rolled on.)  It was bored .060,  with the heads ported and polished, Crower
> re-ground cam and carbs rebuild by  Don Garlit's speed shop in Tampa.  We
> also had the valve covers and  breathers chromed.
>
> With the engine compartment thoroughly washed, re-painted and  detailed, it
> was a "sight to behold."  The combination of gold, black,  chrome and
> buckskin beige would knock your eyes out.  It was truly  beautiful. But then of
> course, a common practice for "high performance"  enthusiasts of the late
> fifties and early sixties was to "dress up" the engine  compartment so that it
> looked as good as it ran.  Unfortunately, most drag  strip tech reps didn't
> realize the engine originally came with two-four barrels,  and we usually
> ended up running in a modified class at the drags.
>
> To your question, however, I have never seen nor heard  of any
> documentation regarding factory chromed parts for the Golden  Commando engine.  But of
> course, you never know for sure.  For  example, this particular Fury was
> purchased as it sat on the show room floor at  Hawk Chrysler-Plymouth without
> bumper wings.  Although the rear  bumper was damaged and removed during the
> 60's, the original front bumper still  has the holes for attachment of the
> bumper wings, but carriage bolts with  washers and a nut were substituted to
> fill the hole.  I've always assumed  that some previous buyer on the car lot
> "really wanted those bumper wings," and  they ended up on a Belvedere long
> since gone. To be honest, I didn't like them  then, nor do I now.  In my
> opinion, they detract from the flowing lines and  anodized trim which are part of
> the beauty of the Fury.  Plus the car  weighed +/- 60 pounds less without
> all that additional bulk. But enough on  that....
>
> I also possess a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury 426 Street  Wedge.  It did come
> from the factory with chrome valve covers and a single  breather.  One of the
> earlier Max Wedge engines ('62 I believe) was  "showcased" with chrome
> valve covers and dual breathers, but the cars as  delivered did not have the
> chrome additions.  To the best of my knowledge,  this Max Wedge engine was the
> first to showcase chromed valve covers. All of the  later Max Wedges came
> with painted breathes, but then they didn't stay on for  long anyway.
>
> The Fury will be restored as it was purchased and  modified by my Father
> and myself with the addition of Air Conditioning to make  the humid summers in
> Florida a little more pleasant.  If you want to dress  up your Fury, I
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)