[GFS] RE: PAINT QUESTION???

NOTE ON PAINT CHIPS AND COLOR MATCHING:

Paint chips make a great collectible, but experts agree that they should not be used for mixing paint formulations in the repainting of a collector vehicle.  These chips fade, oxidize and degrade over time just as paint on a vehicle does.  Also, they were a special formulation of paint made specifically for paint chip books, not for vehicles.  These paint chip sheets were developed so a body repair facility could identify the correct color of a vehicle, and then order the correct corresponding code for the paint.  They were never intended, nor should they be used to mix up a batch of paint today.  With your code identified, most major paint companies can mix a batch of the correct color based on the original spectrographic readouts for the manufacturer’s color.  When in doubt, the web site www.autocolorlibrary.com can help you get a modern mix of your vintage paint.

From: DOLORES ECKERSON
Sent: Thu 2/18/2010 7:17 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] PAINT QUESTION???

HELLO MEMBERS!!!

I need some expertise and experience on this one---I am trying to match
paint on a 58 FURY.

If one has an ORIG AREA of protected paint (under the mirrors and
taillight trim etc),after 50 years,,,will that orig enamel go a tad
darker or lighter????
or do nothing???

I am able to obtain 2 samples (out of 5 that we started with).
One is a half of a smidgeon darker (toward gray),,,one is a half a
smidgeon lighter (toward cream or yellow)
These difference are absolutely infinitesimal as I am just trying to
decide.

What would age have done to that virgin protected enamel

ED ECKERSON