Re: [GFS] MAJOR CHANGES IN THE COLLECTOR CAR MARKET???

I believe us older guys are the future of original cars, but we also are becoming fewer every day. It's the next and younger generations that are driving the market, and they like Resto and Hot Rods.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

From: George McKovich <george@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;
To: <half_aussie@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <goldenfin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <l-forwardlook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Subject: [GFS] MAJOR CHANGES IN THE COLLECTOR CAR MARKET???
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2011 4:20:26 AM

One thing to consider… For every one of those “hot rod” ForwardLook cars they create, there is AT LEAST one LESS “original” or “stock” ones remaining. I think in the long run that makes those that are left more valuable. Also, about 3 or 4 years ago, the HOT item were the crate Hemis being put in 318 or 6 cyl Challengers and Cudas….. NOW what are they worth?? The market ebbs and flows but I think will always come back to the quality originals.

Just my 2 cents worth.

George

On 1/23/2011 01:28:29 PM, Mike Clark (half_aussie@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Ron, I certainly agree with what you are saying here.  I think BJ auction causes more harm than good to the hobby.  But let me put a little different spin on things, maybe you'll agree and maybe not.

> Yes Barrett-Jackson is the most popular auction going, but it isn't the only one.  How many others do we see or hear about?  Not many.  We are in the old car hobby, not the Barrett Jackson hobby.  If people want to spend their money on custom cars, they can do that.  Plenty of people still like the stock originals.

> Remember, BJ isn't there to promote the hobby, they are there to take our money.  In Scottsdale alone, they have a week-long festival.  Speed channel only shows a few hours of it.  If customs are what's hot right now, then guaranteed that is what will be scheduled to show when Speed is on the air.  We don't see the other 4 1/2 days of regular cars, classic 4doors, grocery wagons, etc.  They want hype.

> It might even be they schedule the cars for Speed that they can most exploit.  And I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of shilling going on.  I can see it in that fat bastard Craig Jackson's eyes.  Remember we only see what they want us to see, the alternative to this is being there in person.

> I'm with your friends that have the pure stock originals.  I'd much rather have one of those than a hacked up job.  What would be tragic is if they took there pristine originals and customized them soley because they thought they'd be worth more.

> How many times have we seen a ragged out Camaro, Mustang, vintage Chrysler even, that the seller wanted big bucks for.  His reason?  I saw one on Barrett Jackson just like it sell for X.  Well, it isn't just like it.  This doesn't do us any favors.  I'm hoping in the not too distant future,