Re: IML: Please help me start my 440!

distributor may be in 180 deg. out of turn....try that first.

----- Original Message -----
From: <commenace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:31 AM
Subject: IML: Please help me start my 440!

> I just dropped a freshly rebuilt 440 and trans, as well as a newly rebuilt
gear box, et al, in my 1965 Imperial Le Baron. (I know 413 is proper, but I
wanted a little more, so please no comments on my choice of engine.)

> On Saturday, we buttoned everything up and tried sparking her up. Nothing.
The engine cranks, rather slowly, but never starts. Went out and got a new
battery, engine cranked a little faster, but still no start. Timing is spot
on. No. 1 has compression when it's supposed to, sparkplugs are firing, fuel
pump is giving us gas.

> What's going on?
>
> A few things concern me: first, the engine seems to crank slower than I
remember, and second it feels as if the timing is off or the plugs aren't
getting power, or if they are, it seems the spark is a little weak. I bought
a new battery and starter, but as yet have not installed the new starter.
The timing has been checked more times than I can remember! It is right, I'm
sure of it!  Is it possible that the spark is too weak?  How can that be
rectified?

> The battery cables seemed a bit thin, about 6 or 8 gauge.  I will be
buying some fat cables this week and trying that on Saturday.  What about
ground strapping the block?  Anyone try that?  Does it make a difference?

> My new engine was made in '72. I believe the heads the heads are from mid
seventies. However, the plugs are the same type I was using on my '65 413.
Is it possible that these plugs are too shallow, not getting close enough to
the air/fuel mixture? Does that make any sense? Does anyone have any idea as
to why it turns slighltly slower than before? Is the torque converter (also
new and installed correctly) not allowing the engine to turn freely? Also,
it should be noted that the compression ratio is only about a point higher,
around 9.7.

http://isp.netscape.com/register