RE: IML: Please help me start my 440!

I concur with previous posters that getting the distributor 180 degrees out
of phase is not hard to do.

BUT if you were achieving combustion, I would think you would experience
backfire through the carburetor if that were the case because the cylinders
would neither be firing in the proper sequence nor have the proper
combination of open and closed valves.  It does not sound to me like
combustion is happening.  Is manifold vacuum sufficient to pull atomized
air/fuel through the throttle plates?  What comes out of the tailpipe when
you crank it over?  If there's no soot in the exhaust, nothing is burning.

413s are not that different than 440s.  Improper spark plugs may affect
performance, and I think the gap is different from '65 to '72, but should
not result in no start.  To be sure, I'd spend a few bucks for the
specified plugs and set the gap to spec.  You say spark plugs are firing --
did you observe spark at the electrode or from the wire to the plug with
the plug installed?

I recommend hand cranking per Robin's suggestion to get oil pressure up
before trying to turn the engine over with the key.  Lubrication of
cylinder walls is a good idea to prevent premature wear on first startup,
plus it helps give the proper seal to achieve compression.

There are a few other things in the Mopar books about first starting up,
but I don't have them with me right now.

Persevere,

David

                      "Dick Benjamin"
                      <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>               To:       <mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      ialclub.com

                      01/18/2005 08:26 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mailing-list

1.  Remove #1 spark plug, and install a compression test gauge.
2.  Crank the engine until you just begin to see pressure building up.
3.  Remove the distributor cap and see what plug wire the rotor is pointed
at.  If it is pointed at #1, your distributor is in correctly.  If it is
pointed at #6, your distributor is 180 degrees out of time.

These are 4 stroke engines.  This means the crank goes around twice for
each
time the cam rotates - thus you have a 50/50 chance of getting the
distributor in backwards, unless you checked for this when assembling the
engine.

Dick Benjamin