Re: IML: '70 Rear axle

>From: <kmoore12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: 70 rear axle
>
>Hey everyone, I have an issue with my rear axle that is tearing me up. I
>need to replace the bearings ( sounds like a church choir in my trunk )
>and I would like to install taller gears and a limited-slip diff while I
>am in there. Here is my problem: I would like to go from the current
>2.94 to a 3.23 for a little extra "go" and better towing capabilities.
>If my calculations are correct, that would be an increase of
>approximately 200 rpm at 65 mph. Will that increase make my highway
>hauler not so highway. My main goal with this car is road trips. And one
>last question: Is rebuilding an axle difficult? I rebuilt my
>transmission myself ( with a little help from my brother ) and that was
>easy.

    I think that if you can rebuild a Torqueflite, you won't have any
trouble with a rear end.

    I've always preferred limited-slip cars to cars with open rears in the
snow (actually, in all conditions), though none of my MoPars have had
Sure-Grip - I can't imagine it acts much differently than Trac-Loc (just
better, of course).

   I don't know how much of an effect on cruise speed and mileage going to
3.23s will have; if you do switch, please share your results with the list!
I'm planning to put a S-G diff in my car some day, and while I've almost
decided to stick with the 2.94s, the 3.23s are still slightly in the
running....

     -Kle.
     '69 Crown 4DHT