Re: IML: 67 Imperial

List,
I have a 68 Crown 4-door and LeBaron with dual air, in addition to these, know of two additional LeBarons that were so equipped.  All 68's, and I assume 67's, with either dual air or rear defrost, have a switch labeled "rear air" on the dash.  On the cars with rear defrost, there is a slit for discharge of  air to the window on the rear package shelf.  On the cars with dual air, there are two adjustable nozzles on the rear package shelf that raise or lower the flow of air, but do not adjust the air flow from side to side.  On cars with dual air there is only one compressor, but there are two condensers, both located in front of the car's radiator, one in front of the other. The cars with dual air conditioning use more refrigerant than cars without this feature, I can't recall the exact amount but think it is three pounds.  On cars with rear air, the switch labeled "rear air" controls the rear blower speed only, while the normal front air conditioning controls everything else, such as the temperature desired.  Both rear air and rear heat was offered on these cars, but only one or the other could be ordered, not both.  The rear air conditioning equipment was located on the raised area at the front of the trunk, enclosed, or hidden, by an additional cardboard trunk liner.  Cars with rear air had the spare tire located on the floor of the trunk, to the right, like the convertible, instead of the normal location at the front of the trunk on the raised portion.  Why rear air?  I think the reason for rear air was twofold, it offered quicker cool down at startup, and a more uniformed temperature throughout the interior of the car.  Of the four cars that I know of with rear air, three came from Texas while one came from Nevada.

Bill/Imp,68's