IML: Defroster Setting and Compressor Activation and Dual A/C Presumptio

IML: Defroster Setting and Compressor Activation and Dual A/C Presumptions

For historical purposes, I'll mention that in my post mid-year 1972 Newport w/the standard manual a/c, the compressor comes on when the Defrost is selected. For Imperials with AutoTemp, wasn't the compressor always engaged whenever the system was in any operating position? Maybe I have that incorrect.

1972 was an interesting year for the manual a/c equipped cars. Initially designed, the compressor always ran, all the time in any position and even in the off position, with the intention of keeping the interior dehumidified, which I believe was not the way the 1971 and earlier cars were. Mid year, there was a design change to the interior side of the heater box and a change to have the compressor run only in the a/c and defroster positions. When the button was pulled out, the compressor could be disabled, unless the temp lever was fully to the cold where a micro switch was incorporated into the lever assembly keeping the compressor running, and would override pulling out the button.
As I recall it explained, the ealier type of heater box used a type of fastener around the perimeter of the box that encouraged the box to warp and then drip water off the a/c coils into the passenger footwell. The later type of fasterners fixed this.
Thats probably more than anyone wanted to know about non-AutoTemp units, though I think I've heard of some of this era Imperial with the AutoTemp delete option so maybe this is applicable to some '72 and later Imperials.

Someone mentioned wondering why the rear a/c unit was ever used in that the front unit worked so well. It's to my estimation that the AirTemp Division had a bunch of these rear units manufactured as this was the standard placement for the a/c equipment in the 50's. I'll presume they had an inventory of these when front mounted evaporators and venting became designed into the cowl and dash, and they opted to market dual a/c as a luxury item thereby unloading the stock of rear a/c assemblies. It is surprizing that they redesigned the unit in about '64 or '65 as a smaller unit, perhaps they sold enough to be profitable in the past few years and figured that the next 9-10 years of dual a/c Imperials and Town & Country wagons would warrant keeping this exclusive Chrysler Corporation only option.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door w/dual a/c
'63 Plymouth Belvedere Four-Door sedan w/no a/c
'72 Newport Custom sedan w/working AirTemp