From: "bom tie" <bomtie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:18 AM
Subject: IML: car starts when it wants

I have a 1978 NYB that has 50,000 miles or so on the clock. I have had the
car for about 10 years and it has always needed a very healthy battery to
start. I have not ran the car for the past 3 years, but now is the time.
First changed ALL fluids and cleaned/sealed the tank. The car started with
no problems. I started the car maybe 6 times over a 3 week time frame. Then
I felt good about a test run. I start the car to turn the steering wheel as
I push her to the door. I stop at the door turn the car off to bleed the
brakes again just to be sure.
Bleed the brakes and then no start!
I attach a charger and try it from time to time. The engine was dragging as
if out of time. I moved it a bit, but the dragging was erratic. The wire to
the starter got hotter than I would have thought. The brown wire on the
ballast was warm to the touch with the key "on" for only a few minutes.
After 2 hours on the charger it started. I then set the timming to 20
degrees- this is what the sticker on the car said. I drove the car for about
15 minutes (what a delight) and parked the car. I came back to it an hour
later and NO START! Charged it overnight, started up still sounded like it
was dragging.

1.The battery is 950 Amp 6 months old, do I need a 1000?
2.I have 6.3v at the coil is that enough?
3.Is the starter going out?
4.Is 20 degrees where this needs to be? What if run 2nd grade? Or just
adjust it to where I dont ping going up a hill?
5. Charging system checks out
6. Computer mounted on breather, can they halfway go out?
7. Carb OR VAC issues???
I dont want to just start replacing parts,
Charles